Just picked up a new G-K 1001RB-II 210 combo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deaj, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    ...at GC for $549.99 plus tax. New and full warranty. It sounds great anyway but the price made it that much sweeter! A GC rep helped me locate this one at a GC elsewhere and had it transferred here. It's new-in-box condition (no sales floor abuse) and functionally perfect so far.

I haven't had much time with it yet but I spent alot of time demoing the 1001RB 210 Mark-I combo and know this to be the sound I'm after. Killer amp!

I also have a 115RBH cabinet on the way. Cant wait!
  2. aren't those around $1000 new?
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Like 1299.00 new, 1001RB 2x10 are cheaper now due to the new 1001RBII 2x10 model which came out and sold for the same price!
    But wait he got the new version for that price? The head alone new cost more than that! Great deal dude!
  4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    They had one at my local GC for $600 for about a month. It sounded great, and I was considering snagging it. Then it was gone when I went to the "List" Labor Day sale.

Maybe you got it?? Good Score!!
  5. Its gonna go great with the 15'er

good score on that price!
  6. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I passed up an opportunity on one of those new at my local GC for $749.00 a few months back and I wish that I would have pulled the trigger then. What a great combo. Add the extension cab when you need it, just such a practical piece of equipment for working bass players. Your deal is great - do you work there? is that the employee discount? :)

I'd have done the same thing TODAY if that deal were available to me. I was out looking today and played through a few amps today. I played a SWR 350 and Goliath III 4X10 cab. $995 for the package (used) but it wasn't a GK 1001 combo. Played a SWR Workingmans 2X10 combo at a different store ($599 used), but sounded a bit thin to me. My hearing is not good, I know, because nothing I played today sounded all that better, or different than my Peavey TNT combo. Guess I'll just wait for a deal on a GK 1001 like you got. I'm on vacation this week, maybe I'll drive the 70 miles to the major city to the north of me and check the 5 or 6 GCs that they have there. Maybe I'll get your deal?
  7. Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    No, I don't work for GC and, before this experience, wasn't very interested in doing business there. When I went into a local GC a couple of weeks ago intending to buy a 1001RB 210 I was told that they blew them out about four months earlier for $599 (Mark-I version). I asked the rep if he would check inventory nationally and help me locate one. He was really helpful and located (5) Mark-I combos and (3) Mark-II combos for me. I also had him check for 115RBH cabs - he was able to locate (2) 115RBH cabs. He gave me the store numbers and I made some calls. The (5) Mark-I combos were too beat to consider. The (3) Mark-II combos were all reportedly in excellent to new condition. Only 1 of the (2) 115RBH cabs was in acceptable condition.

I got the 115RBH cab for $300. They also threw in a G-K 4-conductor Speakon cable for free - wow! That brings the grand total to $850 and tax. Smokin deal!

There were two 1001RB-II 210 combos still showing in GC's inventory as of Thursday last week. One was at store #114 in Fountain Valley, CA and the other was at store #115 in Covina, CA. Neither was selling as cheap as the one I picked up but they were at least as low as GC's last blowout price ($700 ??) which is still a killer deal if they haven't been abused. If you're looking for one you shoud consider giving those stores a call.

The rest of the items were to abused to consider - according to the store reps where they reside.
  8. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Killer Deal on that GK combo! GC had some amazing deals for Labor Day.... and you will be nothing but happy with that GK.
    I am almost ready to take the solid state plunge and GK is the pool I will swim in. They dont color your tone much...unlike my Ampeg. :bassist:
  9. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    WHAAAAAT???!!!?!?? You sun-uv-a-gunnnn!!! Good deal homefries congratulations. Welcome to the GK fam, "Once you go Gallien, you never go....back to other amps to play Rapscallion?" :scowl: Nah, really man THAT IS INSANE!!!!
  10. Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Crazy deal on this rig :eek: , no doubt.

I had some time to spend tweaking and playing last night - man, this thing ROCKS!!

With only my Ampeg B50-R as a point of reference I'd say that transparent is a good description. I still haven't had the opportunity to really dial it in but I tried some pretty extreme settings while playing last night and I haven't found a bad sound yet.

I like it - ALOT! :D
  11. Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I picked up the 115RBH cabinet and I have to say that I am now hearing EXACTLY what I'd hoped to get out of this rig - big lows (not boomy), lots of punch, really clean, LOUD! The 1001RB-II 210 combo and 115RBH are an amazing combination.
    Wow... I'm blown away!
  12. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    hey! that's the same rig I own! Enjoy
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    For how much?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Here, you'd have to pay over $1600 for only the head! :eek: :( :mad:
  14. Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Yeah, my head is still spinning over the crazy prices and good fortune! I had to do a little footwork but I didn't expect to do any where near as well as I did on price. Crazy...

Thus far this rig exceeds my every expectation!

There are two issues that I have run into however. The passive crossover in the 115RBH cab is toast. Not a big deal for me given that I use the cab biamped but it's under warranty so now is the time to address it. The other is that there is a very mild intermittent electronic fizz sound WWAAAAAAYYY in the background when playing through either cab and it appears to be only through the woofer amp (not audible through the tweeter amp, swapping bass and instrument cable did not resolve it). It's really very subtle but it's there. I dropped both the combo and cab off at the local GK warranty service center to have both issues addressed. I'm still very pleased. This minor inconvenience is a small price to pay for having paid a small price :)
  15. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    that's an outstanding deal on some excellent gear. i got my 1001rb/210 (mark 1) combo from gc for $450 (new warranty, used condition) and it sounds FANTASTIC- i couldn't be happier with it. makes me want to sell my swr stack since i can't see myself being happy with that sound anymore. plus the combo design is really good with the built in dolly and all. enjoy!!!