Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just picked up a Ric 4003!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrettAM, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Hallo boys! I just picked up a used Ric 4003 Jetglo for 700 bucks, great condition, sounds phenominal, probably four years old, no blemishes, little bit of buzz from the bridge pickup but nothing serious. I'm going pick up some Thomastik-infeld powerbass strings, the flatwounds that are on it now aren't my cup of tea. I'm a little bummed that it isn't a fireglo but hell, you can't have everything! I'll have pics later. :)

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    welcome to the club, man. Rick 4001 mapleglo here. wonderful playing instruments.

3. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Congrats! I got a '01 4003 Jetglow. Great basses!

4. I bought this bass in Santa Barbara California, and now I'm going back to Colorado, where I live, needless to say this is a HUGE climate change (moist to very dry). Any tips on keeping it from warping?

5. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    Enjoy!

Go to Rickenbacker.com and search the serial to find out the year and month it was made.
    The serial can be found on the jack.

6. Octane

Octane

Apr 27, 2002
    Keep it in a closed hardshell case?
    I am really not sure

7. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
  8. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I'd kill to have a rick - particularly a beat up one that i could fix up! I'm jealous of you, man! enjoy it!

ps. ricks have notoriously strong necks due to the dual truss rod system. if it warps, it can probably be fixed.

9. or one b!tch of a time for the guitar techs to fix...and a costly bill for labor...

10. AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! You Dawg!!

I hate you! :p j/k of course! :D

I have wanted a ric forever.....

Congrats brother!!I`m a fireglow fan too but jetglow is still pretty nice.Post some pics if you can!

:)

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Guys, the deals are out there if you look.

There's more $350 Rics like my '81 Azureglo 4001 to be found.

Then again, maybe not. :D

12. Ack, i forgot to mention the one downfall, the neck pup is out of comission, so i'll probably have to fix that, i can do it, but does anyone know where i can find a replacement pup?

13. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I think there's one on eBay now, or get a new one at www.rickenbacker.com

14. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    forgive me - what is a "neck pup"? i've never heard that term before. thanks - matt

15. Neck pup= the pickup that's in the forward position, close to the neck.

Congrats on your Ric! Alas, I just sold my 4001v63 to a good friend who will give it lots of use.

I used TI Powerbass strings on mine, too. They work VERY well on Rics! They sound really great.

Have fun!

16. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    You can't get any better than a Ric.

17. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Congrats on the new to you Ric.....I have two (a Mapleglo and a Midnight Blue...both 4003's) and one on order. I wouldn't be too concerned about the neck warping with the climate change. You'll probably tweak the neck a little to suit your needs anyway so just wait a few after you relocate and do it then.