Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just picked up a Roland DB-700!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Jan 5, 2005.

1. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    So I go to Sam ash this morning to look at practice amps, I was thinking something cheap like the Ibanez SW35 or 65. Then I see the Roland. Someone had traded it in, whoever owned it before took very good care of it, It looked mint. I look at the price tag and they wanted $329.00 for it. I plugged into it and after talking them down to $313.00 (not much off but it took care of most of the tax) I was out the door with it!! I got a bit more than I had bargained on this morning to be sure!! Now I have a smokin practice amp and much more!! :hyper:

2. i heard in reviews that they had AMAZING volume for only 250 watts and just 1x15. the only reason they were discontinued is they had a habit of breaking down and becoming large pet rocks.

3. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I have not read anywhere where that was the case everything I have seen has been positive. I hope you are wrong, I already have pet rocks. ;)

4. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA

One dude I know in Cleveland is in a band that makes enough money that it's their jobs. This guy bought 2 roland DB-700's ( one as a backup) and has never needed the backup in 4 years of 6-nights-a-week. Maybe he got a fluke of somekind that happened to be good. All I know is that these amps do sound amazing, and can handle a big room conisdering it's a combo amp.

If I had one and it broke, I would be temped to try to apply some electronic knowledge to it and hand-make a new-more-heavy-duty version of the same thing to replace that part with (as long as we're talking electrical circuits and components).

5. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks for the good word. :cool:

6. I just joined so I could comment on what I consider to be one of the best 'bang for yer bucks' in combo amps. I bought my DB-700 at Sam Ash in LA about a year ago, on sale for $350. The price was certainly attractive but the usefullness and tone is what really sold me. I can honestly say it has been one of the smartest purchases I've made in a long time. It's so incredibly loud for it's size that it's almost weird. Roland's FFP technology really works and I hope they continue to make amplification for bassists.
    I use it mainly in my studio work and most recently for NBC's show "American Dreams" where we recreate old 60's tracks for the show - especially many of Motown's old songs. The tube setting on the DB-700 sounds very much like an old B-15 and really helps me dial in that great fat tone of the day. I also use an older P Bass with LaBella flatwounds to help finish it off.
    I also used it for a rock musical at the Kodak theater in Hollywood (The Ten Commandments) and it was on for 4 to 5 hours a night, 6 nights a week for over 4 months. I'd say it's pretty reliable. Lastly, I used it on some live club gigs - fairly loud gigs w/ unmiked drums and it cut through well and even warranted compliments from other bass players who came to hear.
    So.....I hope this helps anyone who is looking for a very useful combo bass amp at a decent price, and now that they are being blown out in the $350 range, it's a hard bargain to pass up!
    Later, T.L. :bassist: