Just played a gig...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Funk Warts, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    I'm a bit bored, so thought I'd put up some info about the last gig my band (Noise Pollution) played.

Well, it was only a band night in deepest, darkest Devon (UK) but all the same a turnout of 300 ain't bad.

We played a couple of covers (Journey To The End Of East Bay - Rancid; Give It Away - RHCP; Some Steve Vai track too) but other than that we were playing a load of new material recently written. Most of our songs sort of evolved into a sort of Queens Of The Stone Age jam by the end, but that's alway fun. I've started managing to incorporate a bit more slap into out tracks, but I find that's a bit overdone by a lot of 'bassists' who can't really do it. i.e. those who just sort of throw their whole thumb at the pick-ups - you know who I mean!!!

I threw in a few harmonics too, in between songs of course - I can't get them into a song yet!!! And also, as a bonus, our drummer has started finishing 1) At the right time and 2) he can now play...IN TIME!!! - always a plus!

Anyhow, highlight was probably our finish - which is basically a drum, bass and guitar solo. We've got radio units so we sort of run around the club playing solos. Fun!

In conclusion, a good gig.

Bored yet?

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Sounds like u had a good gig and had fun...
    Keep the good gigs flowin...
  3. wow! i didn't think there were 300 people in devon... you have my respect, geezer ;)

keep it real

simon a
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    drum, bass, guitar solo? interesting.... hard to make three instruments play a solo at the same time... just kidding.. sounds like a good turn out with your gigs.. excellent.. keep it up
  5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Using harmonics in bass lines can be tricky, especialyl when you're trying to catch one, in the midst of a song, it can get difficult, but after practicing it a bit, it gets easier.

I like to base my lines around trying to incorporate a specific thing, when I'm learning something new.

When I was trying to incorporate harmonics, I tried to do something unusual, a ska line that used harmonics, strangely enough, it worked, and sounds relatively cool, IMO. :)

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000

Maybe it's some New Orleans jazz polyphonic texture kind of thing:)
  7. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    Not really. Just as it sounds! Ended up sounding OK actually, although we've played some mega-crap ones before now!

Anyhow, we're up for a gig in a couple of weeks again, better go get some new material....