Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just played a Hughes and Kettner QuantumQT 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fawkes007, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Oh. My. Gawd. What a gorgeous amp!!!! And I play thru and Ashdown ABM500! I now have major G.A.S.! Expensive (street on the head with the 6x10 cab was around $2500) but my oh my, what a wonderful sounding unit, incredibly user friendly and an EQ section that actually had a positive impact (played a Pedulla Rapture JJ 5 string thru it). Great, great amp. I have never played thru a H&K before and was really impressed with it.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Funnily, in Europe they're considered average at best and way overpriced.
    They have built a solid reputation overseas though.
    I can't say I've ever impressed by their stuff.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Played an EVO-II and liked it, very awesome for SS amp. Never played the H&K though...

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA

What's considered above average and what H&K equipment have you tried?

5. I tried the Quantum 600 with the 810 cab and wasn'rt very impressed to be honest... maybe its just not my sound, but I found it very muddy and inarticulate. The EQ didn't have enough scope for me to try and dial in a better sound either, so I don't go near it at the store anymore... I guess if its what you are looking for then great, but I doubt it will be very versatile.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've tried pretty much every kind of amp they made for the last 15 years.
    Early Basskicks were very nice beginner amps. Rotary preshape selectors worked fine. I haven't tried the last ones.
    Force series (L to XXL) were OK, powerful and reliable.
    BassBase heads sound very cold with aggressive highs.
    Quantum series (combos and heads) are overpriced pretenders IMHO.

For this price you can get Ashdown, Markbass, smaller Ampegs, Nemesis, Yorkville... All behave much better with a convincing tone.