Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just played a MIM fretless jazz at GC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cecile, Mar 26, 2005.

1. and I would have to say I am pretty disappointed. It sounded terrific for a MIM but it played absolutely terrible!! The neck was so slow and uncomfortable. So much for getting a cheap fretless. Now on the other hand, they had a used Sadowsky NYC that was awesome! If I had $2600 to spend on a bass, that would be the bass I would buy. Oh well, I'll have to think of something else to buy with my store credit.

2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    when i was on the search for a fretless i tried one. slow neck, uncomfortable, overly heavy, NO MWAH! barely any sound period... Carvin fixed the problem. I would suggest one but they aren't the deal they used to be, the prices got jacked up recently and I priced out a pretty bare minimum fretless 4 (passive, maple/walnut neck, ash body, classic white, strap locks, inlaid lines and dots , traditional headstock) and it came to about 200 less than my pretty deckoud out 6 I ordered, and the same price if I would get the epoxy coating (which I would so yeah...) bummer... they aint the deals they used to be but I would still consider one especially used.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have a MIM and I like it quite a bit. Bought it used, added a Badass II and it sounds pretty good. Though the Jazz type really isn't my bag of chips.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I enjoy my MIM fretless jazz, but you're right, there is no mwah. It's just a different kind of bass. If you're looking for that Trip Wamsley (first player that came to mind) mwah, you're just going to have to go somewhere else. I can get a good thump from my jazz, and can get it incredibly warm, so good stuff, just not real versatile.

5. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I played a fretless Warwick Thumb at GC. All I can say is WOW.

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I always wondered what a fretless thumb would sound like. as phalic and shclong resembling and unergonomic as they are dayum do they have a sweet tone!

7. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    The Corvette and Thumb fretless basses are awesome. If you can't afford a bass in that price range, you should definitely check out a Rockbass Corvette Classic fretless... Awesome fretless for the money!

8. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I had a MIM Jazz fretless, but I ended up selling it. I got a *ton* of mwah out of it after a good setup and changing to roundwounds.

Just set your relief super flat, lower your action, and vary your plucking force.

FWIW, my Brice V2 has a ridiculous, thick, mwah tone as well.

9. I've only played 1 MIM fretless that I found playable and it wasn't even close to the MIAs I played. Setup from the factory, I found some of them to be totally unplayable. They just don't feel good. Some feel decent, and one felt pretty good, especially since it had lower action and the flats were more broken in (less sticky). But none of them compare to the black fretless MIA I played at Steve's Music in Montreal... recently sold... I loved that thing.

10. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I have owned MIM Jazz Fretted and Fretless basses. The quality does vary. Usually the quality problems can be overcome with a lot of setup time.
    I agree that the key to MUAH is to set very flat relief. Sometimes hard to do with quality not perfect. It may involve cutting the nut a hair deeper, and certainly involves heavy use of the truss rod to get the neck straight.
    This kind of detail is not done in a highly automated factory. That's why you don't pay a ton for it.
    After messing around for a while, I have great Muah from my MIM fretless and I am using flatwound strings. :)

11. :cool: I've got a mid 95 AmStd Fretless P. It's got lot's of everything. It has a very versatile pallet of sounds; quality is great; and it looks real nice. They only made these for a few years so you'll have to look for them. I spent over a year looking in stores and watching on eBay before I found mine. Just thought I'd bring it up as another alternative.

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    +1 on the Fretless Thumbs. I swore I'd enver buy another Warwick after what happened to mine, but after playing one of those I was ready to give them another shot, if I'd have $900.

As for Fender fretlesses, I've not been happy witht he ones I've seen. I'm not a huge fender fan by any stretch, but they make a good solid bass most of the time. My next bass purchase will probably be an MIA Jass V which will subsequently get a Warmoth neck with a fretless ebony fingerboard dropped on.