1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just played a Peavey Cirrus fiver

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaneB, Sep 11, 2008.

1. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    I had time to kill this morning, so I went into the music shop, to pleasantly find a heap of amps on sale, and a heap of new basses in stock. Namely a few Peaveys and Corts. I was particularly impressed with the look of the Corts, they had a nice shape, and various pup configs, P and Humbucker, and J and humbucker I think.

But I had a go of the Cirrus 5. It had a fairly nice looking orange red top and matching headstock. First impressions told me the neck was rather lovely, though as I have no experience with fivers, it felt quite wide, and the string spacing was fairly close. Nothing I couldn't get used to, but I was tripping over myself a bit.

I couldn't quite work out what all the knobs were for, and most didn't seem to do anything. I'd say this was because it was for the EQ and there was no battery installed.

I played it for around half an hour, and had a fairly good time. Played on an Ampeg B15, which I was too scared to ask the price for.

I was first quoted $1600 for the Peavey, but another guy said it was an Indonesian model and only about $1300. I had no intention of buying it, but whatever :p

Stuff I didn't like about it was the cheap feeling knobs, and the roundwound strings on it. I'm not used to a B string, and I couldn't play a single note on it without it going clack-buzz-ring-boom. I'd string it with TI Flats though if I were to buy, they're what I'm used to and I love them.

So yeah, I had a pretty good time killing some morning with it. I was running late for my movie, so I had to nip off pretty quick. The guy seemed so cut when I left so hurriedly and didn't buy it or even enquire about pricing or anything :p

Good sign that my local shops are getting in some more quality gear. I might save some cash and get one of the cheap amps they had on sale...

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    "but another guy said it was an Indonesian model and only about $1300"

That's way too much for a BXP. Don't know the conversion off the top of my head, but try $600 US.

3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Let`s see.

Indonesian models are obviously not USA Cirrus, they`re Cirrus BXP. Both great basses but not at the same level.

I agree that $1300 for a BXP is waay too much. You can almost get a new USA Cirrus for that price (and used ones range from 750-900, great value).

IIRC, BXP don`t run passive (same as USA Cirrus).
    IMHO, a big part of the Cirrus sound is in its preamp / pickups.

4. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    We generally pay about twice as much for anything, and as this is a regional retail store, it's about what I'd expect to pay. Not that I'm going to, but still. I'd only consider if it were a sixer, but I think these sorts of stores stocking reasonably expensive fivers is risky enough.

It's why I didn't look too closely at the Ampeg 15. They're expensive in the US, I didn't want to give myself a heart attack by seeing the price they were charging here.

And yeah, it was definitely running passive as none of the knobs were doing anything, except volume. They were just cheap bits of plastic.