Just played a Pedulla pentabuzz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by junglebike, Jun 10, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    MMmmm... ...waaaahhh!

What a nice bass! Local guitar center had a used one, priced at $1999 -- yikes... don't know what the prices on those are new, but that seemed high.

Anyway, I loved the thing -- I typically play 4-string fretless, and I thought the string spacing and ergos were fantastic; I had no trouble with the low B string getting in the way. I love the coated fretboard, too. Best slap sound I've ever heard out of a fretless!

Made me think that I would be willing to trade *both* of my 4-string Tune Bass Maniacs (fretted and fretless) to get one of these things, and have a single bass versatile enough to get just about any tone in one gig, even slap!

Only thing holding me back -- besides the difficulty of selling Tune basses :( is the tone I get on my fretless with my TI flatwounds -- just like the bass on Graceland! No slap possibilities whatsoever, though...

Anyone else used a pentabuzz? Wanna trade? :D
  2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I had a Pentabuzz awhile back. I always loved that bass. The model I had had a Bartolini EZQ in it, which was essentially a limited parametric EQ. The combination of that circuit and the coated fretboard made for endless mwah. I still miss that bass.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I love the PentaBuzz also. It's the only fretless I've actually felt like I could play. Plus, the lacquer on the fret board brightens the tone quite a bit compared to a standard fretless. Great stuff.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I've only played one, but I loved it; made fretless seem easy. $1999 is pretty high for a used Pentabuzz; they sell new for a few hundred more. It is GC however, so you can probably negotiate the price some on it.
  5. Junglebike, I played the pentabuzz and I thought that it was a great bass, but I still perferred my Rob Allen over it. Was it the Guitar Center in San Marcos? That's a beauty, but isn't the finish a little too bright for Holiday? :D

I got to find out when your next gig is, maybe you can test drive my Rob Allen. :D
  6. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I've seen a guy around town locally who plays one and the slap tone he get with it is stunning - very impressive.
  7. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA

Actually it was the La Mesa location. It was a sunburst flame-top deal, definately not the Holiday aesthetic! Lead singer has a 1970 P-bass he wants me to start using 'cause it's perfect for our image :rolleyes: I like it, but it needs some work before it's giggable.

We're playing Saturday 3-5 at the Finish Line Stage at the Del Mar fair, then we've got a month off... I'd love to try a Rob Allen. I think I'm gonna treat myself to the "ultimate" bass if I can manage to land a decent job here in SD. Could be a while :(
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Pentabuzzes are really nice. Great tone, great feel, great look.

My friend got a Like new Pentabuzz fretted, for $900 bucks!

it is in PERFECT condition, though used. The owner said he wanted to go back to 4 strings, or something, and sold it to him at a really great price...for some reason. It's not even 4 years old!
  9. xparis001

Jun 10, 2003
    Worcester, ma
    Product Manager, Akai Professional
    mmm. pentabuzzes are sweet. I had a pedulla emerald signature 5 MVP that michael converted to fretless with lines and coating for me. that thing was so pretty. had to sell it to fund a mixing board.

I also owned a Thunderbass ET5 with a cocobola top. comparing the two when they were both fretted, the thunderbass had better lows, and what felt like a slightly tighter B String. the mvp had a nice b-string, nicer than just about every other bass Ive owned. the only 2 that were nicer was a modulus Q5 and the thunderbass. modulus cuz of the scale/graphite, and I think the thunderbass owed the tighter b to the alder body/cocobolo top vs. maple/maple.

on a related note, the thunderbass I owned is the only one Ive liked. all the others Ive played sounded inferior to my ears. Again, I have to assume its the top. I never thought wood mattered much until I a/b'ed 3 thunderbasses. of course I was a young and wholy untalented punk rocker. as opposed to now, when Im an old, wholy untalented one.

Im new.
  10. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    i was searching for a great fretless bass to buy
    from the money i saved from the army, but here in israel u can't get **** (even talked with some guy about building one) but i guess god loves me cause my uncle from the u.s bought me one at l.a and brought it over.
    i bought it new for 2300$.
    check out the picture.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I only play fretted fives, but the other week I sat down with a Thunderbass Elite 6 and got around pretty darn well! (It had a lined fretboard, otherwise I'd have been lost).

I'm always impressed with the Pedulla basses. One of the prettiest basses I've seen of any type was a Pentabuzz with vintage cherry finish and quilt top. One day I'll own one.
  12. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Really cool basses, I own a '97 Pentabuzz. It definitely has more of the mwah type sound than any fretless I've played. The neck is real fast feeling too. Mine doesn't have markers which makes it a little more difficult for intonation but it sure does look cool with that glassy ebony board.

BTW, what are you Buzz owners using for strings? I've got Labella Tapewounds right now but they're a little floppy for my tastes. I'm thinking of slapping D'Addario Slowounds on there.

13. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    i use Labella slappers for my fretless, but im thinking of buying a couple of sets of ken smith
    cause La Bella cost a lot here in israel.
  14. On their site Pedulla recommends nickel rounds for their Pentabuzz and other buzz basses. www.pedulla.com
  15. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've owned at least one Buzz since 1985. Pedulla used to string the new basses with GHS boomers and I've never used anything else. They work great on Buzz basses.

Slapping on a Buzz may sound great, however,the fingerboard coating and possibly the wood will be quickly worn by slapping. I know each of us must go for our own style but I think you've missed the point of a fine fretless when you slap on it.

I have a Hexabuzz that I bought new in 1994. It has soapbar PUs and is the best fretless that I've owned.

I bought a Pentabuzz with J/J PUs a couple of years ago. It was a killer bass but I kept reaching for the 6. I traded the Pentabuzz off to a friend who is enjoying it now.

The MVP and Buzz basses are made of solid body wings. They do not have "tops".