Just Played a Skyline 55-01 Today..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Jan 11, 2003.

1. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    My lord! Lakland has made one kick ass bass there. I walked into the music store, asked the bass tech (who used to be a roadie for Bela Fleck and the Boys) what was his favorite bass in the house. Over all the Warwicks, Modulus, MTD's, Curbows, (this place had alot of SWEEET Guitars, and I had no idea the place even existed) .. the guy hands me a Lakland 55-01 and said "this is just an amazing guitar that blows my mind for the price".. He plugs it into a SWR Workingman 15" , and holy sheeet, the thing sounded amazing. He started slapping it Wooten style, with the double thumb style, and it sounded great. So I got it started slapping P-nut style, and it sounded amazing. So clear, crisp, and tight. Adjusted the tones, and had a great jazz "Stefan Lessard" sound. It was just amazing, not gonna be disappointed at all.. Why? Because I will be picking up one of those bad boys very soon, and for those of you who haven't tried the Lakland Skyline 55-01's out, they are GREAT.. Today was the first time I played one, and still just have super GAS for that bad ass bass!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    These basses are very nice. But I said that alot. :)
  3. I had one for a short while but returned it for cosmetic reasons. Sound and playability were great. Mine had the cheap preamp and it still sounded really nice. Lot's of versatility.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What was wrong with it, count?
  5. Nothing serious, just a few little things that I didn't like. Mine had a three piece body and the grain pattern didn't match up well. The string ferrules were also installed kind of sloppy and some of the chrome was chipping off. One other thing I didn't like was the fact the fret markers were creme color.

It was a great bass, just those little things bugged me. I ended up returning it and building a Gecko.