1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just Played an Epiphone that I was REALLY Impressed with

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Some of you might flame this, but I have to tell you, this bass surprised the hell out of me. I guess it's an Explorer model? Build quality seems top notch, I was able to get the action super low as neck is arrow straight and frets are extremely level. Pickups sounds dynamite and even sounds good slapped (that really shocked me).

Anybody know much about this model? When they were made and where they were made? Again, it's very impressive!

KGrHqQOKnEE2Zvq54KBNgcSnG7g_3.

KGrHqIOKigE3BpjPOeBNgchPFGw_3.

KGrHqIOKigE3BpjPOeBNgcsMw_3.

KGrHqIOKnME2d-NGWgBNgcWYtlw_3.

KGrHqYOKiYE2qmM30IjBNgccwSg_3.

KGrHqIOKiYE2of1woBNgcQGEjw_3.

2. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    The lms where I live had one several years ago in the yellowy natural finish and it was really well made and rock solid. It sat there forever though, probably because the shape isn't everyones taste. I considered buying it several times.

OOD likes this.
  3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    That shocks me. All the ones I've played had high action, neck felt funky, and sounded terrible.

4. i played the Flying V version of this.. I liked it as well..

5. Quadzilla

You sure it was this model or was is the Epi Thunderbird that you played (pic below)??? I've played those and they are quite different. The one I'm talking about is neck-thru (or set neck?), great hardware, electronics, etc. The Epi Thunderbird is a different animal all together. I've played those and didn't like them either.

$(KGrHqR,!jgE2vLDWjrOBN1r-)I)rw~~0_1.

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I LOVE tbirds, it was the explorer for sure. Nothing about it except the looks was good about it (IMHO), and it wasn't just one, all the ones I've played (3 or 4) were like that.

But of course each to their own, YMMV etc :bassist:

7. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Well now, you might be surprised by the Epi Thunderbird as well. I bought a T-Bird Pro IV a few weeks ago and found the same as you. Very well made, good fretwork, nicely set-up straight from the box (action a tad high for me but a very minor point), nice sounding pups, active electronics and neck-through. It's a much better bass than I expected for the money. I bought it sight unseen over the internet as a backup for my Ric, but at the moment it's getting more playing time than my 4001.

In fact I've just realised it's 5:45 pm so it's time to load it up and get off to tonight's rehearsal

8. Hi.

According to The Guitar Dater Project - Epiphone Serial Number Decoder :

Here's my thread about a "recent" LTD model:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/nbd-epiphone-korina-explorer-ltd-content-570914/

And here's the Explorer club thread that has quite a bit of Epi's as well:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/explorer-bass-club-584480/

Regards
    Sam

9. Quadzilla

The Epi T-Bird I played were the lower-end Chinese made ones and did not impress me but as you said, YMMV! ;) :smug:

10. Quadzilla

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I played a Jack Casaday this weekend while doing a sound check. I sent the bass player out front for a reality check and played Friend of the Devil with the rest of the bunch. Best example of a JC bass I've ever played. Really a very impressive bass other than the head dive.

12. I think Epiphone makes some really nice stuff. Generally well priced as well.

13. I bought the same bass last week & I fully agree with you. It's downright amazing.

14. I have that Epi Explorer and am happy with it. It is actually a heck of a bass for the price. I suspect though thatnproduction quality might not be consistent.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I've heard it said a few times that the Epiphone is better than the old Gibson explorer bass.

16. OldGreg

OldGreg

Apr 23, 2011
    Tucson,AZ
    I'm a proud owner of a epi tbird pro. prolly gonna get dogged for this... But I played it right next to the gibson model (bolt-on and passive) and for the $700 price gap... The epi blew the Gibson out of the water hands down. Historically I havent been a fan of epi's... But they really outdid themselves with the tbird pro. Highly recommend for heavy rock/metal.

17. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    in the gibson family, only the epiphones have bolt on necks. gibson tbirds are neck through; the studio and the non-reverse are set neck.
    I have an epi tbird pro which is quite nice. I'm impressed with the quality in every aspect. quadzilla's original post pretty much sums up my experience and reaction.

18. I've played Epiphones that were great, and Gibsons that were only fair. It seems like QC is a variable with both products, but Epis are afforable. If you love the bass that's what counts.

19. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I went to a GC 2 weeks ago and saw the Epi Explorer and the T-Bird Pro. YEARS ago I owned an Alembic Exploiter (their take on an Explorer) and I discovered that body shape and I do not get along so I didnt bother playing the Explorer.

But I played the Epi T-Bird Pro and MAN! Was I impressed! I really liked the sound- a nice thick, gooey, silky bottom end! Not much top end but thats OK by me. I'm kinda thinking about looking for a used one on CL or in our classifieds. :ninja:

20. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have 3 epiphones, a Thunderbird pro 4, a viola & an el capitan (acoustic). Im impressed with all of them and they are affordable!