Just played first live show

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Strategery, Aug 15, 2005.

1. My band played it's first live show on the weekend. There's just 3 of us. We play a variety of rock covers, some easy, some pretty challenging. The show was a street festival with 2 other bands which were both very experienced. The other bands treated us great. I estimate approx 200 people watching.

After reading a lot of posts on this forum about playing live (e.g. for the first time), I was prepared for a less than stellar show. In summary, things went off pretty smoothly. We played 2 sets and the 2nd was definitely easier. It did not take much time to get into it and focus on playing rather than being nervous. Our guitarist is pretty good but he was drinking alot and so wasn't very sharp. Our drummer (the singer) played really well. There were problems with some song sections and most of our endings were weak (hint to all: practice endings), the monitors were not as good as they could be, my cheap bass sounded cheap, I stumbled on a few intros where it was just me, but we survived!

We are all psyched to do this again after some more practice. Any suggestions on things we can do to prepare better?
  2. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    practice more, get the geet to back off the juicy, and go for it!
    that'll get you going for a while.
    it sounds like you had fun, and had not the worst first gig.
    good on yeh, mate!
  3. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    love your tag , keep at it :bassist:
  4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Coooool. Gotta love it, eh?
    I think that it seems really professional to try to go from song to song as expediently as possible - even to the point of running tunes right together, key-changes permitting. I'm fairly new to being on stage myself (a little over two years on The Bass, and about twenty paying shows under my belt), and I found that over the first five or ten shows, the thing that made us seem the most dorky-amateur-ish was awkward, silent pauses between songs - or even WORSE: one of us would TALK; Egads. NOW we're better at talking to a crowd, AND we don't usually actually NEED any time to stall between songs - so we're not panicking to think of things to say WHILE trying to remember what the next song is, and what note it starts on... our show is much better now.

NOW we ccould pretty much just jump through the whole set from song-to-song, if we wanted. To talk, one of us has to wave the other guys down, saying something like "Whoah, wait-a-second guys! Does everyone here know about the drink special that's going on right now?... ...and don't forget the best burgers in town are right here, and they're buy-one get-one every Tuesday!.. Hey Andy! Play that one Steve Miller song for'em, will ya?"

First gig - Gotta love it, eh?

5. Your first gig was an outdoor gig?...nice!

My first gig was a typical pub gig - got a crate of beer between us (not a bad first payment eh? - considering we were all 16-17!)

I remember - in England at schools we've got this module (or short course, not sure which) called Young Enterprise. Basically you and your classmates run a company based on selling stuff...and you've each got a proper job within the company (personnel manager, accountant, etc...)

My mates company was based on music and playing tapes of songs people in the street wanted to hear, i think there was something like an "Agents" job too like getting gigs for bands. Then they found out my mate was in a band.... hey presto!

FUN - all our classmates went... the atmosphere and the response from the crowd still hasn't been beaten to this day (5 years later - although my current band have come pretty damn close...) :smug: