Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just played my Thunderfunk TFB-550!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tommixx, Apr 7, 2005.

1. All I can say is its true.....the Thunderfunk rules!! I played it through a Fender Bassman cab and it sounded SOOOO old School I thought I was 16 again!!!! Played it through an SWR Goliath II (4-10) and it was PUUUUNCHY!!!!! Played it through a 30 year old Kustom 2-12 and it was HUUUUUUGE!! I can't wait to play it through my El Whappo tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bassist: :hyper: :D

This thing is Super Bad....Quiet Fan, EQ is GREAT, NO EQ is GREATER!!! The presence and Timbre are probably the only knobs I will really use except to dial in or out a funky room......You gotta check one of these out....I was playing my NYC Vintage 4 Sadowsky and it was FAT!!!! Pre Gain at about 4 and the master at 3 or 4 was MOVING some air....the Bassman was good but I have not heard my Goliath II sound this good since I put it into Studio Service.....This thing MAKES you want to slap something.......The El Whappo will probably put me over the edge......... :help: :help: :help:

Will give more detail later but I wanted to give my first impressions of this thing!!!!

Peace,

T

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Congrats!

(Thunderfunk as in the AMP right? not the BASS ;) )

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I hear you dude! About 6 months ago I kept hearing all of this talk about the ThunderFunk and I thought, "what in the world is a Thunderfunk?". Finally after researching all of the TB Threads on the TF, Brad's Thread finally convinced me to give one a shot. I ordered it totally on faith (and of course with Dave's 7 day return policy!) and it's been Thunder heaven ever since!
    Congratulations! I'm sure having the extra 100 watts is nice but I've never maxed my TFB-420 out yet anyway!

4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I'll testify... ThunderFunk & AccuGroove go SO well together :bassist:

5. OOOOPS.......This is the wrong Forum....Sorry!! Move it over to amps Please.....Thats what I get for trying to do too many things at once!!

Peace,

T

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

bump, and off to Amps.

7. Thanks and sorry E......

Peace,

T

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Can't wait to hear your sure-to-be GAS-inducing full system report.

:help:

9. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Really looking forward to your review, I've got a Thunderfunk allreday and a Whappo Jr on its way....

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool stuff tommy,

if the Tfunk sounds good with the accu's, i'm wondering how well they'll sound with my acmes...

btw, anyone know what cabs dave uses to voice the eq on the Tfunks?

11. Consider me subscribed!

I am seriously considering a Thunderfunk myself. I cannot find a bad comment about them on this forum. I have an SWR SM-500 that I'm happy with, but JOME77 said the TF blew his SM-500 out the window, and he's never looked back! :eek: :eek:

So where could I get a TF and trade in my SWR?

12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm not sure, but IIRC, he really talks up the AG's so that's a good guess.

however, i dont think he really uses a particular cab to voice the eq. the eq is an improved version of the one russ allee put in the original AMP. before i wrote that little thread about t-funk history i asked dave about the eq and what made it different/better than other allee preamps like the eden and swr and the original AMP and gibson heads. i asked if it was different bandwidths or voicings. he responded that it ws pretty much better components all around that mde the difference. I'm sure he could give you more info than that.

gee, i want one..................

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC

I agree. I love my Thunderfunk TFB550 and Accugroove Whappo Jr. Great deep yet punchy sound and just moving the timbre control a little make big differences. It is strange...in some rooms my tone is big and boomy (yet not muddy) and in others with the same non-EQ it is bright. That is where the timbre control helps.

14. OK, ITS OFFICIAL........My amp/cab GAS is OVER!!!! I got the El Whappo about 2 hours ago and have not stopped playing until now....UNFRIGGING believable combo with the T-Funk 550!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark uses A T-Funk to test out his cabs and Dave has a TRI 210 I believe so I'd say that they think their products are a pretty good fit....from my POV this is the best of both worlds.....a REALLY FAT TUBEY (if you want it to be with the switch) or more HIFI sounding Amp with a really good EQ and a VERY NEUTRAL cabinet that takes whatever you send it and reproduces it exactly the way you sent it.....the tone controls on my Sadowsky work great on the other cabs I have........BUT, NOTHING else is even close to the El Whappo......very small adjustments of VTC, on board, and PUP selector make noticeable differences to the tone!!!!!

Changing right hand position and even left hand technique is soooooooooo much clearer than anything else I have had.....I get the Studio Monitor talk.....I have worked on 50,000.00 Boxer Studio mains and this thing is actually MORE articulate and accurate and they AIN'T EVEN BROKE IN GOOD YET!!!!!!! I have had a CD playing through it for about 60 minutes or so at a fairly moderate volume and I swear the bottom has tightened up and gotten a bit more rounded already....

I have already called Mark and talked to him about my first impressions but I will say publicly here.....MARK, you got it right!! This IS what it is cracked up to be.....the most sonically pleasing Cabinet I have ever had the privilege of owning, hearing, or playing through!!! WELL done is an understatement.....I implore anybody who is a tone FREAK (I broke the mold) to check these out!!!!!

Not to forget Mr. THUNDERFUNK himself....I played through the Goliath II last night and this AM and was ALREADY blown away by the amp....BUT put this AMP and this CAB together and get ready for a LOT of playing......this stuff MAKES me want to play ALL the time and the new Sadowsky PJ5 P-Body is probably gonna take me over the edge.....FORTUNATELY, I am STUCK at home for about another 6-8 WEEKS or so recovering from a Hip replacement so I'll have the chance to "work the bugs out of all of it" before I go out for this tour!!!!!

Sorry but my Vintage 4 is calling me back to her..... :D

More to come....

BTW - Please don't let anybody pay the ransom, I'll escape when I'm good and ready!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :D

Peace,

T

15. What made you change your mind to go with the El rather than the Jr. ?? Probably better for a tour gig anyway mostly bigger or outdoor stuff. I've read the bottom on the Jr. is huge, but the ElW is deadly... duck!

16. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Awesome review Tom! Thanks for sharing. I think your praise of this fine gear is going to cost me $$$$$$. But I'll probably thank you later.

Do you think there is much difference between the El Whappo and the El Jr? My frame of reference is my Bergantino HT322. Which cab will give me at 'least' the same punch and performance? Would I need to go with the El Whappo? My Bergie HT322 has been my one size fits all cab that works outdoors loud and proud or even soft and quiet. Thanks again!

Gary

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Berg 322 is my favorite cab. I'd love to hear it next to the Whappo and the JR.

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Glad you're enjoying sonic nirvana -- it's a great place to be.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

Keep on Grooving, TM.

19. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Me too. There was a 322 on ebay that closed last night at $411. I was so bummed that I couldn't jump on it.

20. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Don't hold back, tommixx, go on & get excited :D I'll pray for a timely recovery so you can enjoy every minute with your new rig!