1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just played one of my best gigs ever...(or the diff, between A team and B/C team)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glocke1, Oct 26, 2013.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Most of my playing these days (and pretty much has always been I guess), consists of playing with what I consider to be B team or even C team players. There have been times where I've been able to play with world class players, but they have been few and far between.

These are people who aren't entirely bad on their instruments, but also aren't people who would leave a lasting impression on you...I'd even say that 50% of the time I dread going out to play with most of these guys and put some effort into trying to find a way to back out. In the end though I always follow through with these guys because I know that no matter how cynical Ive gotten over the years, there is still a part of me that wants to keep my chops up.

This leads me to last night. A couple of months ago I had agreed to do a a gig with a bandleader who is "A team " material...In other words the guys the real deal. The furthest thing from a hack you could imagine...

I had actually spent the previous week getting pretty apprehensive about this gig, and was wishing I had not agreed to do it. I mainly didn't want to put the time in for practicing and it was far (almost two hours)..

Soooooo glad I didn't cancel. From the minute the music started to the end I can only describe last nights gig as being caught up in a giant wave and being carried along..It truly was one of those "The music played the band moments".

It was such a pleasure to play with truly great musicians...Mistakes in songs were made because not all of us were familiar with all of the material, but nothing that would resemble a trainwreck..The audience loved us, and had a great time, and even the band leader said something to the affect that hes done 40-50 of these gigs over the past 7-8 months and never had the crowd respond in a way they did last night.

It was truly a magical night.

{first post in awhile that I haven't had anything negative to say about music :hyper::hyper::hyper:}

2. intheory

intheory

Nov 17, 2009
    SW Florida
    That's why we love to perform, for these moments!! Awesome!

3. JumboJack

JumboJack

Dec 31, 2007
    Lakewood,CA.
    I play with a drummer who studies with Dave Weckl. It is always awesome when he is laying it down. My bass plays itself.....