just played the relic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I just got back from guitar center where I had the chance to play a Jaco relic. This bass is incredible.
    It has the most awsome broken in feeling and the tone is just killer. I have a new Jaco tribute bass that I love, I can't wait until it gets old!

2. Many who dont know the difference, question the high price for a "beat-up" relic bass, but have no qualms about the same price on a custom boutique bass. What they dont realise is that a relic IS a custom boutique bass. The relicing is just the cosmetic aspect. The real deal is the hand-built and wonderful set-up that the Fender Custom Shop gives every relic bass. I have a friend with a relic Tele guitar, and this instrument has wood as good as any you will ever find, and a broken-in playability to die for.

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I agree Marty. The relic is a high end bass that I would put up against my Warwick any day. The way that it plays and sounds is just amazing. Fender has done a great job with this instrument and anybody who dismisses it as a marketing gimmick is missing the point.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I played a Jaco relic and I'll agree it's a great player.
    The fingerboard coating is like 1/8" thick or something, enough to really refract the fretlines at the edge of the fingerboard. I wish the regular Jaco bass had that coating.

5. I have one and it's one of the best fretless basses I have ever played. The tone and feel is just incredible.

All things considered, I'd prefer it look new, but I wouldn't trade that "worn in" feeling it has for anything. It is pretty remarkable how the Custom Shop does the "relicing". It really looks/feels old, not just beat up.

Jeff

6. *Air raid siren*

incoming Bruce Lindfield strike expected any minute..... :D

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Using my fragile body to protect my Jaco bass from expected incoming strike.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I want one, dammit!!! I have both of the Jaco Artist production basses. But that relic has really captured my imagination...

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I'm tellin ya, I might have to sell my truck and walk down the street to buy one.