Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just played the relic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I just got back from guitar center where I had the chance to play a Jaco relic. This bass is incredible.
    It has the most awsome broken in feeling and the tone is just killer. I have a new Jaco tribute bass that I love, I can't wait until it gets old!

2. Many who dont know the difference, question the high price for a "beat-up" relic bass, but have no qualms about the same price on a custom boutique bass. What they dont realise is that a relic IS a custom boutique bass. The relicing is just the cosmetic aspect. The real deal is the hand-built and wonderful set-up that the Fender Custom Shop gives every relic bass. I have a friend with a relic Tele guitar, and this instrument has wood as good as any you will ever find, and a broken-in playability to die for.

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I agree Marty. The relic is a high end bass that I would put up against my Warwick any day. The way that it plays and sounds is just amazing. Fender has done a great job with this instrument and anybody who dismisses it as a marketing gimmick is missing the point.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I played a Jaco relic and I'll agree it's a great player.
    The fingerboard coating is like 1/8" thick or something, enough to really refract the fretlines at the edge of the fingerboard. I wish the regular Jaco bass had that coating.

5. I have one and it's one of the best fretless basses I have ever played. The tone and feel is just incredible.

All things considered, I'd prefer it look new, but I wouldn't trade that "worn in" feeling it has for anything. It is pretty remarkable how the Custom Shop does the "relicing". It really looks/feels old, not just beat up.

Jeff

6. *Air raid siren*

incoming Bruce Lindfield strike expected any minute..... :D

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Using my fragile body to protect my Jaco bass from expected incoming strike.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I want one, dammit!!! I have both of the Jaco Artist production basses. But that relic has really captured my imagination...

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I'm tellin ya, I might have to sell my truck and walk down the street to buy one.