1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just played through an Ampeg SVT450...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rush-2112, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Holy friggin crap it sounded amazing! :hyper:

It was the SVT450 head through a Classic 8x10 cab (not sure about the exact model, but I think SVT as well)...first time I've played on something like this. I mean I've played through a couple Ampeg combos here and there, but nothing of this magnitude. This was at a rehearsal studio I was in with my band earlier today, btw. I walk in, and imagine my surprise as I stare down at this beast! :bassist: Clean tone, great mids, and just all around very versatile sound. If I could afford it, I'd buy this rig in a heartbeat. Wish I had the moneys! :crying:

[​IMG]

2. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    The AMPEG 810e cab is a beautiful thing! I've had mine for about a year and last weekend bought a AMPEG SVT CLASSIC head to complete the rig - make no mistake this set up kills! I've been playing about 29 or so years and don't know why I've waited so long to get THE AMP!

Attached Files:

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    My band did a opening set for Robert Cray at Houston House of Blues Memorial weekend. I was able to play thru my first ever complete SVT rig. I believe the SVT-CL head and looked like the 810e I've seen pics of. I had my '08 Am St P5 w/flats ready to rock it.

At sound check; I could hear the rig so-so, quite middy to my ears, but didn't want to fiddle with it alot. But once we started queing up the stage monitors the bass rig was almost inaudible. The bass thru the stage monitors was so loud that I just asked for a abit more and used the monitors for my stage sound to me. I was told by friends that the FOH sound was so awesome so I was happy with that. I know Robert Cray's sound out front was fantastic when I went out to listen to him.

Most our regular club gigs PA are 2x15's on stix with a single floor monitor, my rig is for the stage/room.
    I rarely get any, much less this much stage monitor for bass that it was abit off-putting to me at first. But it was pretty awesome once I asked monitor mixer dude to add abit of mids for me. Plus was only one set so didn't wanna take alot of time up.

Sound crew was very gracious about asking what all we needed in our mixes. Once I could hear the huge monitor(s) of bass in front and beside me, I just went with that. But I never got to hear the Ampeg rig during our entire set. Oh well, HofB's said they like us as an opening act and will call us again, this is our second time. So maybe next time I'll push for more of the house rig sound to hear the rig.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This surprises people on here when I tell them, but I like Ampeg gear, too.

;)

Hopefully one day soon you'll get to hear one of those cabs with a full-on tube SVT-CL or VR, but glad you're having fun with that rig at your space. Still my favorite cab after 35 years. Just used one tonight on my gig.

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I'm sure trying to play thru a classic Ampeg rig in full for my first time; keep getting sidetracked.

The first time we opened for a act at H of B's this year; got an email from soundman saying what he'd have as backline. Sure enough he had a "Ampeg rig" on the list. I was looking forward to it thinking it would for sure be the 810 cab with a tube head.

Well the main act's bassist had setup his rig when I arrived for soundcheck. A Hartke head, a Ampeg 410 and a SWR 18" cab at bottom. I rarely see Hartke gear aound these parts and never have played thru one so I was really dissappointed. But the soundman gave us a really good mix and I was happy. But one day I'm gonna play thru that classic Ampeg rig...and get to hear it this time, I hope. :bassist:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've played a handful of HOB's across the country, and the soundguys are always first rate and willing to roll with whatever makes you comfy unless you're just plain being a dillhole.

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    these young cats were really cool, joking around with all of us and seemed to be really trying to please us. In the past this has not always been the case.

But as I stated earlier, its' rare I gig these kinda venues. More sportsbars-bikerbars gigs with my own rigs to fill the rooms. I do find those alot more fun for me. But its nice to occaisionally play thru a huge FOH system with cool, knowledgeable folks at the controls.