1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

just popped for a Yamahiko

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Mike Arnopol, Jan 9, 2015.

1. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    The phase issue is tricky. Simply hardwire flipping 180 degrees isn't always an acceptable solution. 2 elements on the bridge, the phase shifts around depending on how the bridge swings. Same with a close mic and bridge pu. Nightmare, vertigo on the bandstand, I decided I'm too old for that stuff. One sound source is complex enough in a live setting. My experience. Others may vary.

2. That is why I did the experiment. Because I had the idea, that if I turned down one of the elements, I could reduce the outphasing between the elements that I felt was the reason for a certain flattening of the sound. Using only one element seemed and felt too radical for me at the time (many years ago). I agree that one element will give more dynamics.

Well I believe that the HPF effect is related to the two elements picking up different vibrations that to an extent outphase each other. But perhaps others can chime in.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    +1 it's just easier finding a single element pickup that suits you bass, and if there's a front line involved, sending a microphone out to the mains. Don Underwood talked about this in our conversation, but he didn't discuss phase issues. A Double Bass Bridge is a cantilever arch and when it vibrates
    it's actually twisting and turning on the front end. Tricky stuff to attach a sensor to indeed. Violins are so much smaller that it's apparently easier to find the sweet spot on the bridge and attach a piezo at that point.

Ric

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Subscribing to this bad boy!

5. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    It's funny. Years ago I heard Eric Hochberg playing. He was using an Underwood with just the E string element in place. The other one just dangling there. Ok---the dual element Underwood was very smooth and legato (that 70's bass sound) but the single element had WAYYY more thump and attack. Actually a more functional sound. I think that by that time I was using a Fishman BP100. (I wanted to sound just like Marc Johnson). I almost cut my Underwood apart to use the single element! It seems to me, that the single Schertler has that kind of vibe with much greater fidelity. Didn't work for me, but Eric sounds great with it!.

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

Once the Realist was introduced, it seem's like all the piezo pickups went with a single element. Before that, the Underwood, Schertler Stat B, and The BP-100 all were designed with dual elements. I even did the Fishman Bass Blender, with the BP-100, and Crown Condenser.
    By comparison, the Realist sounded way better. Sometimes, a simpler device gets better results.

Ric

7. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Gold Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Mike, are we going to see pictures of your bridge with the maple disc and the Full Circle? I am curious to see what you did.
    Thanks!

8. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    So Mike we are waiting with bated breath both for the review of the Yamahiko and the photos of the FC thing.

9. Every time I read this thread title I see "Just pooped for a yamahiko" and have a little chuckle.

10. Some people have money like that.

11. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    ????

$250 is chump change in the double bass world- a decent set of strings can set you back that much; some cost a LOT more. It is only $30 more than the full circle pickup costs at the big online shops.

12. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I have to do some bridge work to get it to work. Have to drill and dowel the existing holes and the re-drill and tap. I think I'll put the Fishman on the G side for S's and G's. BTW---I was the guy that suggested that on the EA Doubler that the phase between both channels was variable---just for the idea of combining two pickups.
    Hey James---nice meeting you at the Asheville GTG.

13. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Same here Mike!

Have you considered using a helicoil instead of the drilling, plug, and re-tap? It might be a quick starter solution that is reversable before you do all that work and then possibly change your mind.

Don Kasper likes this.
  14. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    ?

Kai Sanchez likes this.
  15. !

16. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    &

17. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

?,!,&,
    Helicoil demo:

18. Mike Arnopol

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    i've been using the Yamahiko for about a month. I prefer it to the FC. Better balance and attack. A bit more natural. The mids are stronger so I have to dial them back a bit. The 800 hz mid point on the Doubler is about perfect.

19. Kai Sanchez

Kai Sanchez Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Miami
    That's very nice to hear! I imagine you were using the one side only. I wonder if using the two elements would help with my G string sounding weak with the full circle (slightly). Can you please post some sound clips?

20. Kscbass, consider moving your soundpost a bit more away from the bridge.

I had problems with an Underwood-like pickup with my 5-string high-C bass if I used only one element on the bass side, but that went away after my luthier repositioned the soundpost more away from the bridge. Now the bass sounds softer (not quieter) but still nice and the Problem went away. Now I can also use single bass foot pickups without problems.

Kai Sanchez likes this.