Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

JUST POST THE %@@$^$! PICS!!!

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by erik_hammarlund, May 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Every time i see a "email for pics" thread it means that I can't look at the item, can't get a feel for what's out there, and (this is for you sellers) to tell the truth I'd be less likely to buy even if vaguely interested--what are you hiding? and of course, I'd never make any sort of 'gee that looks cool!' purchase on something i couldn't see. it makes me cringe. if you got pics, post them! Grrr.

OK, rant over. I feel much better now. :p

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    To Post, You First Must Host... and not everyone has the ability to host pictures. That might be the issue.

I could be wrong and I'm sure I will hear about it if I am...

Pete

3. Erik;

glad you feel better. My problem is (and I have to admit this) posting any pics here on the thread. Either something is wrong with my computer or I just am not capable of doing it.

Furthermore, I'm not a dealer. I am just selling gear I don't play anymore due to the purchase of other equipment (the endless pursuit for the ideal sound).

So, if someone is REALLY interested in my gear I am selling, people ARE emailing me and request pictures, especially when the price is really good.

That's just my 5 1/2 cents to that.

:D

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Are you receiving errors when you attempt to post pics? If so, what kind of errors?

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I have had trouble posting some pix that are too big. I got fed up trying to figure out how to shrink them so now my ads say "pix on request." If you don't want to make the request, then I have no problem not sending you the pix.

6. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Just for reference, you can open your pics in a basic program like MS paint, Click on Image->sketch/skew and shrink the size until it meets standard size restrictions. You can check the size through the attributes button.

It's actually really easy to do, it takes about a minute and it really helps to generate interest in your stuff.

Just my .02.

7. Haven't you ever bought something you weren't planning to buy taht day? Maybe you just saw it and thought "hey I should own that!" I have...

8. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    While it doesn't get to me as much as erik, I gotta agree.

I understand if some people are having problems posting pics, but most people should be able to. If the file is too large, don't take such a big pic. You can choose the size/resolution on most digital cameras. Secondly, if you do have a big pic, a photoshop program should be able to size it down. I understand that not everyone has access to a program like this.

The thing that gets to me is when a thread will have an item for sale, and then the next 5-10 replies are all asking for pics...it would be ten times easier if the pics were just there. Take eBay for example: They have shown that items with pictures sell quicker and for more $$$. I am more likely to consider buying an item if I see a pic that I like, even if I'm not in the market to buy. OTOH, I will email the seller if I am interested; I'd prefer to not have to.

Of course, this is all IMO.
    :bassist:

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    DIRECTIONS FOR EDITING PICTURES TO MAKE THEM SMALLER:

Almost every Windows user should have a program called "Microsoft Picture It!" If not, stay tuned for a different way to resize.

Find the picture that you want to post on your computer. RIGHT CLICK on the picture, move your mouse over "Open With" and select "Microsoft Picture It!". Once Picture It is open, go up to "Format" and click "resize image." Make sure that the "Units" are in PIXELS. Whichever is larger of the two (height and width), click that number and put in 600. The program should automatically resize the picture and maintain the proportions. Click "Save As" if you want to keep the original picture, and place a "1" after the file name.

For those of you WITHOUT Microsoft Picture It, you can use Microsoft Paint. Find the picture on your computer and move your mouse over it to figure out the dimensions. Whichever of the two numbers is larger, figure out what percentage of that number is equal to 600. For example, say the picture is 1024x768. 55% of 1024 will equal 563, which is below the limit for pictures. If you don't want to do the math, just guesstimate the number. Use the same "Open With" method described above, except open with Microsoft Paint or "Paint" this time. Once open, go up to "Image" then click "Stretch/Skew." Put in whatever percentage (i.e. 55% from the example above) in BOTH boxes in the "stretch" section. Save the picture.

Now, everyone should be able to post a picture. I don't know about Mac users, but there has to be similar programs that allow image editing.

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I did it! Wanna buy a tuner?

11. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    How much?

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
  13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Did my destructions help you? :D

14. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yup! :) :bassist:

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Sweet!!! Easy to understand and everything? We should really sticky this post to the top of the forum, or at least some instructions on how to post pics so people can put them on here. I hear all the time that people don't know how.

Anything that needs editing in my post to make it more understandable?

16. Again, a bit part of the problem is that not everyone out there has web hosting available to them to be able to post their photos in the forum.

Aside from that, I agree that it helps tremendously to have the photos posted directly in the thread.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Furthermore, if you post "EMAIL FOR PICS", how about replying with them when someone DOES email you for them.

18. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Doesn't TB host the pics if they are attachments?

:bassist:

19. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    you computer literate people make it sound sooooo easy ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.