1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just Powered Down my PC & Put MAC Book Pro

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Dec 12, 2017.

1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Bought a serpentine oak High Boy dresser to accommodate winter wear long sleeve tees. So reorg is on.

Think I’m moving out the glasstop desk. That’s 30 horitzontal inches against a crowded wall and it could be a home for permanent guitar stand.

I’m doing everything on my MacBook these days anyway. PC had Adobe Suite version 5. I use iPads and iPhone pretty much all day and ForScore for charts.

I will be IEM in Jan, both bands and can manage the mix via an IOS interface. I use Google’s Chrome on my IOS devices including Maps/Waze.

Anybody else giving up the platform/OS but keeping the browser?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I use Apple products almost exclusively in my personal life.

I, however, have decided that I will be migrating the opposite direction from you.

With the passing of Jobs, Apple has begun reverting to the dark days of profit>performance.

Be prepared for new models with marginal "improvements" at alarming release rates and ever dwindling legacy support.

The revelation by an Apple insider recently of company policy of creating iOS updates that intentionally cripple equipment that is not "current" in order to increase sales has left a very poor taste in my mouth.

I don't want to feel like my income is being farmed by my tech provider.

StyleOverShow and StayLow like this.
  3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I hear you about drinking the Apple Kool Aide, but IMO they have always been a hardware company. Their devices are top notch design and solid performers.

In the 30 years I’ve been on home computers, it’s always been a PC. That’s my point I guess.

4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Apple excels at customer control. ;)

StyleOverShow and charlie monroe like this.
  5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Apple doesn't do hardware design. For a long while, they simple ran PowerPC. Now they just run the same Intel based stuff everyone else does.

StyleOverShow and charlie monroe like this.
  6. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I've been using Macs since the Mac+ I've been supporting Macs and PCs and Unix boxes longer than that...

I'm happy to report that intel Macs (at least) can get a new lease on life with Debian or Ubuntu after Apple declares them "beyond the pale" - browse web, do office things (libreoffice) edit photos (GIMP) I recall seeing that there's supposed to be a version (Gentoo?) that runs on the PowerPCs, but even I think those are kinda clunky, and it's been a long time since I fired up the one by my knee that will still boot OS9.

The only big bummer is that the major release of MuseScore (notation-generation-freeware) is back in the 1.x era rather than the 2.x era seen on the Macs/PCs at present.

iOS devices, I'm not sure what options there are, other than treating "upgrades" like the hazard they are. The only reason I even have iOS devices is ForScore. I use a cheap out of date android phone (for voice calls, as a tuner, as a wiFi checker, and a TINY amount of text.) I use a computer when I want to send an email, write a forum post, etc.

StyleOverShow likes this.
  7. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Great (by which I mean awful) new Apple "feature" - had a network client who's suddenly having all sorts of problems on their crummy DSL line (best they can get at the end of the line in the woods.) We ran through the usual suspects and it turns out that their Mac is synching like crazy, making the network unusable for anything else, including anything from that same mac.

Evidently Apple has a vile new scheme going where they "helpfully" offer to move your documents and desktop to the cloud - and they don't mean copy. The documents are removed from your local disk. Reading up on this, it's possible from reports that when upgrading to high sierra (10.13), it's done without even asking. On 10.12 it's a "helpful suggestion" when disk space gets tight.

One more reason to NOT sign in with your appleID on your computer. What a mess. The cloud is the last place these folks need bulk data, and now they need to get it all back to some local disk.

8. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I’m not a fan of some of the Apple carp, namely:
    Assured accessory compatibility - otherwise known as “were going to put a chip in our products that assures you will be gambling if you purchase cords and other thing from anyone but us”.

Where the smell did my headphone jack go? - I get it, Bluetooth headphones ARE the future, but I’m a musician. That little jack is good for other things, many of which aren’t/can’t be wireless.

Now having said that - the alternative is a way less polished user interface. I have pc/Android/iOS devices in my life and find that the in many cases the overall software experience is better with Apple. The Apple version is, in my opinion, usually a lot more polished than the android equivalent. Pc seems to be in the middle somewhere.
    So, yea, I don’t dig the apple my way or the highway shtick, but it’s pretty reliable without a lot of care/feeding/tweaking.

9. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I don't think Apple is worth the money if you have a little know how. I used to be all in on Windows as the best of both worlds (customizability+stability) until Windows 10 when stability disappeared. I would probably get something like a Razor or an Orion and run a Linux distro with virtual environments for Windows and/or Mac.

Wfrance3 likes this.
  10. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    It got dongle-ized.
    f181945e-3e5a-499e-bb91-fdcc771d291a_1.ea772abee1ab90a7f9c97c81a96859e4.

11. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Nice...

12. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Yeah good luck charging your phone with that thing.

13. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Well, if you really want to try that, I'm sure we can get you a "car jumper cable to 3.2mm TRS male adapter." Cash up front, no returns, and we are not responsible for any damage you may do to your phone. Of course, you could use it to plug headphones in, rather than attempting to use it as a charger.