1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just pulled the trigger

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdog, Dec 30, 2011.

1. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    very nice, congrats!!!!

3. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    The GAS symptoms were bad this time!

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    "barely used condition"
    That's hilarious for this type of bass.
    Enjoy!

5. Nice score! I was actually eye'ing that exact listing/auction on the Bay yesterday! :p

6. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    "Nice score! I was actually eye'ing that exact listing/auction on the Bay yesterday!"

The price came down by $20 overnight. Could not resist. Figured I'd be sick if I missed it and still have gas symptoms.

7. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Congrats, man. Nice score!

8. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    Delivered! I had the bass delivered to my mom's house because she is always home and could sign for it. I'll have it in my hands this evening after work and then will dive into my new Jaco Pastorius Bass Method book. I am on my way to becoming a Jaco clone, sort of. ;-) I am pretty psyched to have a J again. I hope I like it as much as others seem to. I have some fun gigs coming up soon too.

Bob

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Great deal man. Under 800 shipped is a great deal for the Roadworn jazz IMO

Enjoy the bass!

10. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    Got it in my hands now and am very happy. Sounds old, looks old, feels old, smells old.
    I don't know what strings are on it. Rounds with black silk. They seem a bit old too but I like that in a round wound. I'll probably get a set of D'addario half rounds or yank the Sun Beams off my Squier P. Any other string suggestions for an "old" J?
    Thinking about shimming the neck but will wait and see after a week or two. Bob.

11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    TI flats.

12. I hope it turns out to be a good one then!

13. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    TI flats are great strings that I have used in the passed but I have Chromes on the PJ and I feel this bass needs rounds. This bass is used; so some of the grunge is real, maybe. Can't wait to gig this thing.

14. Manufactured grunge. :) Congrats.

15. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    So the saddles were pretty low and the bass was playing a bit higher than I like. I shimmed with a piece of sand paper and got the saddles in a more moderate position but the action is still a tad higher than I would like and there is some buzzing above the 12 fret on the A and D strings mainly. Not sure what to do about it.

This morning I put a 1/8 turn of tension the rod to flatten the neck and find a good starting point for action. Of course the buzzing got a little worse so I raised the saddles a tad to compensate. There is very little relief in the neck at this time. Then it was time to go to work this morning. Can I get some suggestions from the TB world please?

16. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    A little fret work on those above the 12th is not unusual. Just saying... ;)

17. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    Thanks for the reply but what does this mean:

"A little fret work on those above the 12th is not unusual."

Bob

18. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    So I had this bass looked at by a luthier and, just as I thought/knew, the neck has issues. There is a hump on the E side and a dip on the G side. Setup that I would be happy with could not be achieved. $50setup charge too! Now begins the process of dealing with the seller and trying to get my money back from a guy who has a no returns policy. Roadworn Jazz gas is over and not for the right reason. Live and learn. :-(

Thing is I want another Jazz bass before I am too old to have fun with it. The lightless and look of the RW was a selling point. Maybe I should be thinking of a used MIM and do pup and tronics upgrade instead.

Bob

19. beatdatthang

beatdatthang

Aug 29, 2011
    Arkansas
    Before you just get rid of it, you may want to consider just buying an aftermarket replacement neck. That's the beauty of Fenders, the necks are bolt-ons and every major aftermarket company makes necks that are compatible.

Sure it's a little more money and you just spent a good deal for the bass, but you can buy a Warmoth (and get exactly the wood combination you want) or Allparts neck for around $300 or go a little cheaper and get a Mighty Mite neck for $100 and just use the existing hardware that you have on the current neck.

I'm kind of a "customizer" of my gear and swap necks and electronics all the time, sometimes just to experiment. It makes the instrument feel more like your "signature model", IMO.

Just a thought if you can't return it for a full refund...

20. Epidrake

Epidrake

May 24, 2011
    That stinks. Sorry to hear it. I wonder if the seller knew, or was just clueless?