just punched a hole in the cone of a driver

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Oct 12, 2002.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    screwdriver slipped

how ****ed am i? do i need a whole new speaker? is there anything i can do (some sort of super-glue compound) to repair it without replacing the cone?

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    it's in the surround (accordion), not the actual cone - if this helps one way or another..

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    searched through, found something about superglue/epoxy and tissue paper, i'll try that

anyone?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Use a flexible epoxy if you can. The idea is to contain the tear so it doesn't spread.

5. What I've done in occasions like this is apply a small amount of Bison kit (the rubbery stuff, I believe it's sold outside of holland under that name but look it up, it's a very common adhesive http://www.bison.net/servlet/ProductServlet20?cmd=show&id=10686, versions by other manufacturers are ok too) onto the hole or tear on both sides making a patch. No toiletpaper or anything, just the kit. Works like a charm, and if you use the black version it's hardly noticeable too. I would definately not use epoxy as it isn't flexible.

Good luck.

Cheers Rody

edit>haven't heard of the flexible epoxy Brad mentioned, but if it's there, look into it....</edit

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    thanks all! now fixed (and play tested).. I used a silicone sealer/adhesive designed for aquariums. waterproof, won't crack, very flexible, etc.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    beer-resistant?

8. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    If it is beer resistant I might need to line my stomach with it. Glad to hear you got the tear sorted out Patrick.