Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just punched a hole in the cone of a driver

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, Oct 12, 2002.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    screwdriver slipped

how ****ed am i? do i need a whole new speaker? is there anything i can do (some sort of super-glue compound) to repair it without replacing the cone?

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    it's in the surround (accordion), not the actual cone - if this helps one way or another..

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    searched through, found something about superglue/epoxy and tissue paper, i'll try that

anyone?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Use a flexible epoxy if you can. The idea is to contain the tear so it doesn't spread.

5. What I've done in occasions like this is apply a small amount of Bison kit (the rubbery stuff, I believe it's sold outside of holland under that name but look it up, it's a very common adhesive http://www.bison.net/servlet/ProductServlet20?cmd=show&id=10686, versions by other manufacturers are ok too) onto the hole or tear on both sides making a patch. No toiletpaper or anything, just the kit. Works like a charm, and if you use the black version it's hardly noticeable too. I would definately not use epoxy as it isn't flexible.

Good luck.

Cheers Rody

edit>haven't heard of the flexible epoxy Brad mentioned, but if it's there, look into it....</edit

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    thanks all! now fixed (and play tested).. I used a silicone sealer/adhesive designed for aquariums. waterproof, won't crack, very flexible, etc.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  8. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    If it is beer resistant I might need to line my stomach with it. Glad to hear you got the tear sorted out Patrick.