JUST PURCHASED SECOND MAPEG PORTAFLEX 2 X10 CAB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ram flowers, May 22, 2022.

1. ram flowers

ram flowers

May 31, 2018
    Shelton, Wa
    Hi all, back to inexperienced questions. After reading the manual on the Ampeg Portaflex 500 Watt Head and watching a you tiube video by Johnny Cox titled
    Matching Bass Amp Heads & Cabinets: A Bass Players Guide - Bass Practice Diary - 25th August 2020 I discovered that I might have been connecting my one 2 x 10 cabinet incorrectly to the head. In the back of the head are two OutPuts one says 300 watts at 8 Ohms and a second Neutrik output says 500 Watts at 4 Ohms. I have been connecting the one cabinet to my head to the Output that states 500 Watts. Do I need to connect to the Output that says 300 Watts instead. Next question is even thought there are two separate Outputs (300 & 500 watts) they are actually considered just one Output Right?? I ask because when I receive my second cabinet I want to ensure that I am connecting my two cabs correctly. In his video at the 7: 20 minute mark he explains the connections on the back of his amp and talks about a head with two outputs. So what Im really asking is how to connect the two 2 x 10 cabinets to the 500 Watt Head. I'm guessing I should connect the Nuetrik cable to the headOutput that says 500 Watts to the first Cab then just run a 1/4 inch speaker cable to the second Cab. Thsank you for any advise that can be provided. I tried to explain as clearly as I could.

2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    The back of the amp just says this: 300 [email protected] 8Ω 500 [email protected] 4Ω minimum load. It doesn't matter how you use the 1/4 inch or speakon jacks, the amp will see whatever impedance (4 or 8Ω) that comes into that jack. The amp will see 4Ω whichever way you connect them, even if you use the jack on the second cab.

3. cool

Smokey P, ColdEye, Katoosie and 8 others like this.
  4. ram flowers

ram flowers

May 31, 2018
    Shelton, Wa

5. ram flowers

ram flowers

May 31, 2018
    Shelton, Wa
    Jaco I see what your saying, but if thats the case why have to separate outputs on the amp? Like Spock would say "Highly Illogical" lol. Thanks

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    well no, it's entirely logical;

what if you have two cabs that each only have one input jack?

either way yeah, it's all parallel connections and all the same result no matter how you hook them up; one cab gets you 300 watts, two cabs gets you the full 500

7. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

It’s so you can hook up two cabs.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  8. ram flowers

ram flowers

May 31, 2018
    Shelton, Wa
    Oh I see! two cabs with only one input. I didnt think of that. Thank you.

S-Bigbottom, rodl2005 and walterw like this.
  9. ram flowers

ram flowers

May 31, 2018
    Shelton, Wa
    Also stacking the two 2 x10 cabs sould not an issue I hope as far as stabilty.

10. BassFalcon

BassFalcon Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2020
    We can actually read it easier if you use the standard sized font and don’t bold everything. It’s similar to the boy who cried wolf, if everything is emphasized than nothing is emphasized.

11. Be vewy vewy quiet , I'm hunting wabbits,,,,,,,,,

baxter_x, fuzzer, 6thplanet and 3 others like this.
  12. I don’t like the odd bold type or having to use the magnifying glass either so regular type font is best.
    Oh well, plug in both cabinets and crank it up.:cool:

BassFalcon likes this.
  13. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    If that is the case would one need to concerned will dipping below the minimum ohm of the amps rating?

14. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    Before connecting a second cab, you might want to consult your owners manual to see what the minimum ohm load limit is to make sure you you cabs will not cause it to go below that limit.

15. BassFalcon

BassFalcon Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2020
    That’s exactly what was running through my head, LOL

Engle, DJ Bebop and 5StringBlues like this.
  16. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    I just looked. The PF 210 cab is 8ohms. So two of them are a perfectly fine 4 ohm load. No more than that, though. Do NOT follow the following advice:

6thplanet, DJ Bebop and 5StringBlues like this.
  17. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Yes you cannot go below 4 ohms with that amp.

DJ Bebop and dbsfgyd1 like this.
  18. ram flowers

ram flowers

May 31, 2018
    Shelton, Wa
    From what i read in the manual and on several You Tube Videos the Head is 4 Ohms the Cabs are 8 ohms so that equal 4 ohms. I should be ok as far as I know.

dbsfgyd1 likes this.
  19. ram flowers

ram flowers

May 31, 2018
    Shelton, Wa
    Sorry! When I copied the You Tube link the fonts all turned large and bold. I was to lazy to go back and change it, but i thank everyone for their advise and help.

BassFalcon and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Waterloo, ON Canada
    Let this be a lesson then. Don't be lazy.

MHensleyJr, JettBlaq, fuzzer and 2 others like this.