Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just put a Mullard in my Hartke and it farted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, May 28, 2005.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yesterday I replaced the Sovtek 12Ax7 with a GT12AX7-M in my Hartke 5000. When I powered up I heard a loud farting sound every 5 seconds or so. :eyebrow: I called GT and they said that it was probably a bad tube. Today, I powered up and the sound is gone. Anyone have a similar experience? Does this tube need to break in? I am worried that it might go bad again. :confused:

The thing sounds bitchen! Really warms up the tone. Don't even need my Sansamp as much now. :cool:

2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Maybe the Mullard tube puts out more gain than the Sovtek? This would boost the signal at the preamp as well as the power amp. Which would in turn, push the rig to T.O.F. (threshold of farting) sooner than it did before. See, it always comes down to the T.O.F. ;)

3. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    This was a rhythmic farting that was present even when my bass was not plugged in. As soon as I turned up the pre-amp dial, it started.

4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    An amp farting on its own, without a bass even being thumped? I've heard of a high fartage ratio before, but nothing like this. I can only guess that it's a..............combo amp??? :eyebrow:

5. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Hartke 5000, Avatar B210, Avatar B112. The noise was almost like a popping sound, more than a fart.

6. I'd replace the tube. Save the old one in case the problem continues with a different tube. Make sure its tight in the socket.

Randy

7. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Ghost in the machine? Dirty tube socket?

Oh, and that GT ain't no Mullard. It might be good, but it's not a Mullard.

8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I think by now the word is out on these tubes. I bought a pair a while back and they were giving me problems too. Maybe I got a bad set, but I thought they sounded like microwaved tastes. Just my opinion.

even partiaqlly masked profanity isn't cool..........ivanmike

9. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    My marshall had a blown capacitor, and it was constantly farting, even when i didnt' play!

It sounded like "prhlpmh....phlm....pop..pop.....scraaptchprhmph... pop" ;). :rolleyes: :D

So, that migth be the problem? Excuse me, i'm no amp expert, but that cap in my marshall was the fault in my case ;).

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yup, don't call a GT a mullard. :rollno:

11. I heard its very similar to the Mullard, as similar as NOS and POS.... :D

Randy

12. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Humm....... call me a pervert idiot but maybe the thread title should have said "I put a POS in my hartke and it farted"

:hyper:

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Even better, in his Fartke!!! :D

14. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Fartke Hartke...either way it's a total blow out. Throw those farty tubes away and get some good ones. ;)

15. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well...Day 3 and no problems. :( Played thru it for 3 hours. A big improvment over the Softek.

16. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Funny thing--I was dumb enough to buy one of these GT 12Ax7 'Mullard' tubes. I put it in my amp and it did the exact same thing--a thrumming pop every two seconds. At least the guy who sold it to me took it back.

DO NOT BUY THESE TUBES!!!!!!

17. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Wow, Phunky blew the dust of this thread!:eek:

It was a bad tube. They sent me a new one and it worked fine.

18. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i couldnt warm up my hartke with a freakin blow torch, let alone a tube change.

I wept like a small beaten child when i swapped it for my eden.

as for Fartke, that's pretty funny but i really didnt find mine to be a fart machine at all.

an as for this- "My marshall had a blown capacitor, and it was constantly farting, even when i didnt' play!

It sounded like "prhlpmh....phlm....pop..pop.....scraaptchprhmph.. . pop" "

now that is just plain funny!

19. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    It seems to me that a lot of new production tubes have poor quality control. The good ones end up being reliable, but alot of junk gets out the door. Now, the whole idea of getting a GT is that they select the good ones for you. I guess they don't!

There's TONS of good to great NOS and used 12ax7 out there. I'd never consider buying a new production as I've never heard anything come close to the old stuff, even a lowly ole grey plate RCA.

20. yeah I believe I have the amp we are talking about, no farting sounds from it.

And it sounds plenty warm to me, especially when used with deep cabs with no tweeters.