Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just put a used fender on layaway... 50th anv. model????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Casey C., Nov 16, 2003.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I went to guitar center about 2 weeks ago and there was this american p-bass deluxe w/ a beautiful 2 tone red finish (like a red burst) and a maple neck for $700. I played it and I liked it. Well I went back today and it was still there! I played it for awhile and came to the conclusion that I must have it. What gets me though is that the tag says its a 50th anv. model. does anyone know if there is a 50th anv. model that is just like a regular MIA deluxe P-bass? The only thing I thought was special was the finish.

2. That's a 1996 American Std. P-Bass in Crimsonburst. There should be a gold sticker on the back of the headstock that has "Fender Celebrating 50 years of Excellence 1946-1996"
    but those can be peeled off. All U.S. Fender guitars and basses made in '96 had the sticker so nothing special but Guitar Center insists on labeling them as if they are for more $, however there weren't many made w/ that finish. I have the same color om my '96 J Bazz but with a RW board.

3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    do you think its worth $700? It only has one nic in it and everything seems to be really straight.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    I would try for $600...
    but if you liked it you can't put a price on that

steve

5. I would try for $600 +/- $50, but you have it in layaway so it's going to be harder. I don't see GC coming down to $100 off of a used bass but try!
    Try to find the original salesman to work with.

6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    well, I already put it on layaway yesturday. the price was $689 + tax so it was like $738.29. I'm not sure if it has a case or any other accessories. I forgot to mention that it has flatwounds on it currently. Overall I think its worth what I paid for it.