Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just put EMGs in my Grind NTB 6 (sound clip)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chump stain, Apr 9, 2004.

1. I just got finished with the install of EMG pickups in my Peavey Grind NTB 6. I went with the 40-P and the 40-J models.

The install was pretty easy, except I couldn't find any wiring diagrams that explaned how to hook up 2 volumes and 2 tone pots. I finally figured it out. The instructions EMG sent showed 2 volumes 1 tone, or 1 volume 1 tone. All the diagrams I dug up on the net showed the same configurations, I guess 2 volumes 2 tones is a rare thing? :confused:

Here is a link to the sound clip.
    In the clip; the 1st 30 seconds is the bass with the stock passive pickups, and the last part is the new EMGs. Both were recorded with both volumes at 100% and the Tone pots in the middle (or 50%). Also, I put new Elixers on the bass, when I changed the pickups.
    edit: Oh yeah, the bass is running direct into my PC.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Definitely like the EMGs. Much more even tone.

3. Yeah, after listening to the clip again, it sounds a lot cleaner. I'm stoked!

This is turning out to be a really nice bass. Next to replace will be the tuners.

I originally wanted to get the Schecter Stilleto Studio 6 with the 18v EMG HZ pickups. But I could find no one who carried any of the Stilleto Studio basses to at least see one in person. Then I found this bass at my local shop for like $380. With some upgrades, it's becoming a killer bass.

4. slonlo420

slonlo420

Sep 20, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I have a similar situation with a Spector NS2000. It has the emg HZ pickups wired into an active preamp. I found an emg 35j and 35p that I want to install but can't find any wiring diagrams for 2 volume 2 tone pots. Also, the previous owner rewired the bass for 18v. Can you shed some light as to how you got your bass wired? The emg HZs have five wires and the active emgs only have two. Thanks in advance!

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Oh yes, definite improvement with the EMGs. Good job! :cool:

6. I made up a diagram of how I have mine wired.

I think I got it right, I didn't open up the cavity to double check, I'm just going off of memory.

The white wire from the pickups has to be wired to the case of the pot, and to the center ear. And thats supposed to be a capacitor between the volume and tone pots.

7. slonlo420

slonlo420

Sep 20, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for the reply. Your diagram should help. I also discovered diagrams for the emg BTS preamp on the emg website (imagine that). I didn't think to look there initially since last time I needed diagrams they had just pulled the majority of the schematics they had posted and therefore the webpage was no help. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.

8. i know this is a really old thread but i ran into a similar problem. was that diagram just for one 9volt? how would the wiring with 2 volume and 2 tone be for an 18 volt?

9. Sorry, I'm sure somebody here could help you. 9 volts works fine for me, I don't know how you would wire up 18 volts.

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    2 Vol and tone has nothing to do with 18v, it's in the battery wiring.

The way to wire 18v is:

In a series,

take your first battery clip, cut the black (leave some slack also), connect the black to an additional clip (red), run the black lead of the second to the black that you cut.

or just simply put, tie (+) to (-) of the 2 clips.

Here's a good example of parallel and series wiring:

Parallel:
    [​IMG]

Series:
    [​IMG]

11. thanks so much this helped. cant wait to get those pickups in