1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just put flats on my jazz bass... WOW

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chris1125, Jun 2, 2011.

1. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    So I was hoping to use some flats and somebody gave me a used set. I was planning on my next purchase being a p bass but today I strung up my fernandes jazz with flats and WOW, that was just the tone I was looking for. Sort of like vintage but not to puchy or mellow, perfect for the jazz stuff I've been doing. It also feels great, smooth. Maybe this is not as much as a revelation for you as it is for me but I just wanted to share my experience. On top of the tone, I was having some buzzing issues so the fernandes was about to be sent away to a shop but the flats also fixed that problem, I was able to ge the action right where I want it without any buzzing. Yay! Haha
    Ok, anyways, just ignore me, I am just an upright player who is finidng his way around the electric more and more.

2. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Nov 26, 2006
    Limestone, TN
    Congrats Chris!! Diggable tone is always a good thing! Welcome to the fretted side! I am actually the reverse, I bought an inexpensive 3/4 this year ( already fixed the neck joint) and am starting to get comfortable on the upright!

Thumpin_P

3. Jazz Bass +_ Flats = my idea of fun!

It's amazing how so many players get their bass jones' sorted by simply putting flats on.

Makes me feel good :D

4. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Welcome to the dark side :D

5. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Haha thanks guys! I have no clue what kind of strings they are. They have a purple winiding on both ends.

6. pandaman37

pandaman37 Banned

Sep 17, 2009
    Clovis, CA
    if you were looking for a more p bass tone dyou think flats would help?

7. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    That was my experience, but I wouldn't call it p bass tone.

8. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Yup, me too!!! I've got Chromes on both of my Jazz basses as well as my P basses. Besides sounding great, I love the way they feel. :cool:

9. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Probably GHS Precision flats, unless someone knows of another flatwound string with purple windings.

10. Woo! +1 for flats! Welcome to the club!

11. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    Gigged with the flats for the first time tonight, there's that sound I've been waiting for :)

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Pyramid Golds are a very light purple, almost lavender ... Chromes are a very dark blue, that my wife actually calls purple ..

13. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    Flats are awesome...have had the same set on for years...they are thick, full, solid, beefy, stable, move air and and fill the room

14. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    I had Carvin flats on one bass that were supposedly re-labeled LaBellas with light purple (lavender really) at both ends. My older Pyramid flats are light green, while the newer Pyramid flats are dark green (at both ends). I just strung another bass with GHS Precision flats, with purple on the top only... Looks a little goofy against the FireGlo...

I'm gonna say you've got the LaBella made Carvin strings. They were tremendous on a 4003 I sold last year! Wish I'd swapped the strings before selling it!