1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

just put flatwounds on my lakland :)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rycebag, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    i bought a set of GHS flats about a week ago and put them on yesterday and so far im lovin it. im having alot of fun breaking them in:bassist:

2. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    I just bought a Lakland Bob Glaub Skyline, and at Dan's suggestion, put flatwounds on it. Perfect Motown tone!

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    What Lakland do you have? I've toyed with putting some flats on one of my 494s just for a different voice.

jte

4. Rycebag

Rycebag Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    i have the skyline joe osborn model and i totally think it was made to be with flats..haha and it totally has that motown vibe to it now that i put that flats on it.

5. I have a Skyline DJ5 that wears D'Addario flats. It sounded great with nickel rounds, but the tone I get with flats is phenomenal. Loads of thump, smooth deep sounding, with plenty of clank when needed.

6. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Thats what i like about flats too. Massive deep tone and lots of thump coming out. Sometimes i have to cut bass due to too mch low end coming out lol

7. C'mon - There's no such thing as too much low end! ;)

Seriously though, I have that same issue with my old MIJ Squier P bass that wears flats. It gets way too boomy at times - and a little uncontrollable without compression which I generally dislike using.

I can't see myself going back to rounds on my DJ - with flats it is perfect for soul and R&B which is my main gig.

8. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I've used flats on MOST of my Lakies: 44-01, 55-01, JO4, and I just got a Glaub yesterday that I'll re-string today with a set.... but when my brand new 44-02 gets here today, well... we will have to see about that one!!