1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just put High Beams on my Stingray....ewwwww

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Holy War, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    :meh:

seems to have scooped the heck out of my tone.

They feel great, but ehhh, I dont think they sound very good at all

I wish experimenting with strings wasnt so dang expensive

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    If you like the way hi beams feel, but aren't crazy about the sound, I recommend Dunlop Stainless Steel strings. They are less expensive, especially if you have a 5 string, and sound great to my ear. I've been a hi beam user for over a decade, but recently made the switch to Dunlop strings. I feel they produce a punchier, more clear fundamental tone to the notes. I'm not sure if they will last quite as long as hi beams do, but the sound great for the life span they have and the price is right.

3. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    are they scooped sounding though? I need pronounced low mids in my strings to produce the sound that i want/like

4. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I didn't like the Hi-Beams on my SR5 either. I too found them to be too mid scooped to match up with the Ray. I prefer nickels on the Ray. They just sound right. I use Elixirs. Nice zing with plenty of punch.

If you want to stay with DR and prefer Stainless, you might try a set of SS Low Riders or Fat Beams for a little more low mids.

5. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I usually string my basses with roto RS 66s, but never on my ray...got any ideas as to what the results would be with them

6. They're not 'mid scooped'. Strings don't work that way. They are simply VERY bright. Turn down your treble and the mids come back.

7. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    i very much beg the differ, but OK

8. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I've never tried them. If you like aggressive, then I'm sure that match up would deliver.

9. Yes, I knew you would say that. Did you try it?
    Reason I say this is I have a friend who is a die-hard Roto man. He is midrange-city. Couldn't get Rotos one day and tried a set of Beams instead, and says they are the closest possible match to Rotos he's ever tried. Killer midrange.

10. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i swear by hi beams. i find them to be very versatile and sound amazing IMO.. plus they have the life expectancy of a greek god.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    You want/need DR SS Lo-Riders. I think you will like them much better. They are almost as bright as Hi-Beams, but have more punch in the low-mids. Sounds like they would be perfect for you.

12. I go by either Hi Beams or Low Riders. Repeat from post above.

13. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    ill have to check em out this weekend

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm not sure what to say here, as everyone hears everything differently. I would recommed you try them though, as the price is right.

15. I ordered quite a few packs of Hi-Beams based on a few recomendations, figured they'd be fantastic strings.

Meh. They feel kind of grippy, and they do sound mid-scooped to me as well.

Guess I'll stick to good old fashioned Super Slinkies. I wanted to try something else cause I figured that SS's were just super normal, main stream strings... but none of the fancy strings I've tried (TI, DR) have been any better.

To my ears Super Slinkies and Stingrays go together like bread and butter :)

16. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    One more vote for lo-riders. I've played them for years. I hated hi-beams too. All zing, no punch.

17. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I know I'm in the minority about this, but I love GHS Boomers on my Stingray 5. On other basses, they can be a bit "blah", but on a Stingray they sound very warm and "musical." Not overly aggressive or strident, just rich. I guess the strings tame the bass, or the bass wakes up the strings. Anyway, they're a nice match. (For me, anyway.)

18. So lemme get this straight... Lo-Riders are the slightly less bright, somewhat more lo-middish version of Hi-Beams?

19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I don't know that I'd necessarily call them "less bright" but they are stronger in the low mids. Somewhat higher tension too.

20. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I agree with the poster that strings don't work this way. They are just brighter than what your used to so you have to adjust your EQ accordingly. The OP has a Stingray. If it's 3 band, cut the treble, boost the mids and boost bass; the punch will come if you dial it in.

If you want strings that have the perception of more mids, I'd recommend Fat Beams. They are slightly less bright than Hi Beams and sound more punchy to my ear than Hi Beams. Another option might be the coasted strings which slightly dull down the highs but are basically just coated Hi Beams.