Just put some flats on my jazz and...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Shakin-Slim, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    The A string makes this deep rattle every time the string is played open. I can't quite figure out where the rattle is coming from. Either the machine head or the nut, but I'm more inclined to say the nut. Does anybody know if I strung it incorrectly? Or if the nut is too accommodating for the string?

2. ProffesB

ProffesB

Oct 7, 2008
    Maryland
    I've had problems before trimming the string too much before putting it on resulting in less wraps, the string leaving the post higher and the string approaching the nut at too shallow an angle and not sitting in well. If not that I'd guess the nut.

3. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    The problem goes away when I put pressure on the string just past the nut. Anywhere between the nut and the tuning post. Still confuzzled

4. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    yup. you need to rewind it and make sure that it settles as low as possible on the post.
    your second comment confirms this.

5. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    and yes. the A string is commonly the culprit of this

6. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks man! This is proving to be hard work as I cut a wee bit too much off that string. After buying some expensive Dean Markley Flats. I'll learn :) Thanks again

7. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    no problem man. i know this because i did the exact same thing. even since then i usually measure the A string out to the end of the headstock before i cut it. this is of course on a bass with 4 in line tuners

8. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    It's strung low, still have the same problem. Any other causes that you know of? Not enough string? 4 in line like a jazz? Yeah I cut it off probably once it reached just past the D tuner. That could have been my mistake, but I'd rather it were something easily replaceable like that than anything more serious.

9. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    try release a neck a bit. some strings banging more than others (usually A ) at first frets if neck is too straight (or just a little bit)

10. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    you mean the truss rod?

11. GigJones

GigJones

Jun 10, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I had the same problem with my MIA Precision except it was the low E string. I put D’Addario Chromes on and the low E string developed a “brrrr” sound every time I struck it a little harder than normal. I could really hear the vibration when the bass was not plugged in.

I thought I got a bum set of strings so I contacted D’Addario and they sent me a new set – at no charge (cool guys). I took my bass to a reputable shop and had them put on the new Chromes and do a complete setup on the bass but the vibration persisted.

I got tired of hearing the “brrrr” sound” so I tried a set of D’Addario half-rounds and the problem went away.

My opinion is that the nut slots may be too wide for some flats. The strings seem to lightly touch the sides of the slot and when struck a little harder than normal, they generate an abnormal vibration.

12. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Do you know of any flats that are thicker?

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If the problem goes away after you press on the string just past the nut, then the problem is NOT the nut or the string width, it is that you don't have enough downward wrappings of the string on the tuner post.

Don't go adjusting your truss rod or getting a new nut or different strings. Wind from the top of the post DOWNWARD, so that the string goes from the nut to the LOWEST POSSIBLE POINT on the tuner post. That will solve your problem.

When the string passes over the nut it needs to angle DOWNWARD towards the tuner post. That's why some basses have string retainers, to keep that downward pressure on the nut. I can't tell you how many students I've had with the same problem over the years because they didn't wrap the string around the post correctly.

40YearOldBassVirgin likes this.
  14. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    I was told to make sure the string went upward. Should I only do it downward on the string giving me grief?

15. funkifiedsoul

funkifiedsoul Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    You were told wrong. Yes, do it with all of them. Obviously the D & G have the tree on headstocks with inline pegs, and problems occur mainly with the A & sometimes E , but it's a good habit to get into in case you find yourself stringing a headstock with two on each side, with no tree.(then the D is as vulnerable as the A)

+1 for Eric's post

16. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I never trim the A string on Fender basses. It takes a bit longer for the string to settle but, the extra winds make a sharper break angle (more pressure on the nut).
    I play very hard and am pretty sensitive to this.

17. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Thanks for all the help from everyone. I'm on of those guys who up until recently always took my bass to the shop when I wanted it restrung etc. I get much more satisfaction out of doing it myself but I should have known I would have problems. But we learn these things don't we? Thanks again guys.

Shaun

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

You should always bend and insert the end of the string into the center of the post, then wind from the top DOWN, using the windings to lock the bent part of the string into position. After that point, the windings move downward and create a sharper break angle over the nut.

I never cut strings less than three finger widths past the tuner.

If in doubt, leave them even longer. You can always make a string SHORTER.

19. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    sure. also,like most guys said,make sure theres enough length of a string. check the nut aswell - put a piece of paper in the nut slot beneath the string - if buzz goes away,that's it ...

20. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    "- put a piece of paper in the nut slot beneath the string..."

This!!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 18, 2021