Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just putting this out there.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Mar 14, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I know a lot of people who buy $300-$400 basses and get better electronics installed and so on... Well, even though I don't like the Dean line of basses for my own needs, this caught my eye. Dean Edge Q4 Bartolini

It's got active Bartolini's, a quilted maple top, 24 frets, and it's $500. Just wondering if anyone had noticed that deal. Pretty good if you ask me since a lot of people have been buying SX and Bryce basses at nearly $300 and putting $200 worth of pickups and preamps into 'em.

Whadya think?

-Eric.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Have you played one? If not, do so and see if you even like it. If you don't dig it, then it's hardly a good deal for you.

Electronics comprise only a fraction of a bass's overall quality as you well know. If the build quality, playability, hardware, neck profile, etc., etc., etc. don;t suit you, the Barts will mean very little.

3. I personally love the feel of my old dean edge, and I would be pretty psyched to try one of these out. Unfortunately I don't have the money to order one, and there are no dean dealers around me. Maybe next time I go somewhere other than the middle of nowhere I'll track one down and try it out.

4. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I love my Dean Edge 5, and that does look inviting if I didn't have my eye on a Tobias at the shop

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If the electronics are what you're looking for and it feels good, it's a good buy. If they're not what you're looking for, you're going to be replacing them anway. Right?

6. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    If your buying new then get it from Musiciansfriend.com and if you don't like it you can get your money back within the 45 day limit. ;)

About 2 yrs ago while in a local music store I played a $200.00 Dean with J pups (forgot the model) and it blew me away for it's playability and tone both. Most of the basses I've owned or now own are the likes of Smith, Lakland, Sadowsky, R Bass, Lull, Modulus, Brubaker, Zon, Musicman ... etc. From what I can tell Dean would be a nice value for a lower-end bass for someone. :)

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    You know, I never said I was gonna buy it. I was just putting it out there for people to notice. It seems like a pretty decent bass for a Dean. Just calling attention to it, that's all.

-Eric.