Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just quit my job

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pigpen02, Oct 16, 2002.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    damn! and i loved that gig too. i was a counselor at a facility/residential group home for developmentally disabled clients, but....

the abuses i've witnessed at the hands of other staff have just done me in. its like i'm completely powerless to keep my clients safe. there's this awful vacuum of character there, this woman, who's been busted verbally abusing clients, has stolen money from them in sizable amounts on at least three verified occasions, and is just a unethical compost heap in general. Yet, filing complaints with management results in nothing more than my being known as a trouble maker.

too make matters worse, we've got a new supervisor, a man hating brutish woman, who's modified time sheets without our knowledge, filed incident reports for staff taking lunch breaks and the like. c'mon, working at wendy's as a kid i got a damn lunch break!

our group home recieved a sizable grant, to the tune of $16,000 from KOVAR (knights of va for the mentally retarded or some such) for home improvements six months ago. today, that money has sat stagnant (at best) and my client's living situation hasn't been improved whatsoever.

my clients, even after having demonstrated facility in living independently, and receiving federal grants to move to supported living apartments, have remained sort of trapped, as the agency derives funding from medicaid for clients in their care. i'm just sick with it.

my only measure of satisfaction is having drafted and prepared to mail a detailed account of this employee's wrong-doings and ethical violations to our state's legal advocate. that should shake 'em up a bit!

what is it about care-giver jobs that attract such beasts? you'd think that there'd be an ethics exam to screen potential employees, but it just seems to attract the worst kind of trash, and me.

oh well, just needed to vent. i'm gonna miss my clients, i've developed some really heart warming relationships there. i'll still visit, but it won't be the same. what a bummer.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That's horrible, and it seems common. You are doing the right thing in reporting them, best of luck in getting results.

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Kudos to you for doing the right thing, and reporting the abuses at that facility.

The world needs more people like you working in such places.

Good luck with your job search!

4. Hang their butt out to dry. This kind of treachery is simply awful. I wish you the best in getting these mosters the ass kicking they deserve. AND, I wish you the best in getting a much nicer job, where you don't have to worry about what managment is going to do to you.

Rock on
    Eric

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    hey thanks guys. nice to know some people are empathic (my girlfriend's about to kill me!)

i'm on the job hunt, and hoping that these issues aren't universal. unfortunately, i'm not to optimistic.

the awful thing is, to create any meaningful change from the inside, one has to sell one's soul, brown-nose, and be engaged in similar unethical practices to move ahead. hell, by the time anybody gets to be in a supervisory position, it seems that all that's left is a husk.

6. i work for a group/residential home for troubled teens. they get in trouble with law and wind up in a home. most of them come from abusive homes. a quarter of them just don't like to follow rules. sigh. and then there is the therapist. the things that get said to these kids. then, we staff, have to go and turn it all around again and help this child get back on their feet after the therapist has them. does anything get done about it, NOOOOOOO. have there been complaints. YES. by staff, by the kids, and even by a few parents. this therapist even disrespects the family. the parents to the kids who jsut do not want to follow the rules come to try and get the family back together can not believe some of the things this person says. as far as lunch hours, on sat. i work from 8 a.m. until 12 a.m., the same on sun. i am lucky to get 3 hours sleep before i have to go back in. i work 4-12 on thursdays. we do not have 15 minute breaks, we do not have lunch breaks, we can not even leave to go get food from a fast food place, we have to pray we can time our bathroom breaks around another staff, if there are two there that day. when only one it is worse. so i hear you on what you are saying. the things i see really make me so angry. and there are times one of these darn abusive parents come in and destroy all the good we have finally convinced this child it has inside. makes me want to leave also. but it always seems the kids know when i am ready to go and they write letters, make cards, or just come up to me and tell me how much they love me and would not know what to do if i ever left. so i stay for that kid. then another comes. lol. i love my girls there. they are truly special people. hate the politics, but love the kids to death. they call me mama because they say i treat them with mother love. my babies. i can go on forever about them.
    you are doing the right thing. good for you. sometimes you have to leave to fight for somebody. at least the grants we get and the money we get from a charity, we are nonprofit, goes to these kids. i can say that much at least. just keep telling yourself you are doing the right thing. you will be okay.:)

7. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    hey dove,

i did the troubled teens thing at a group home for a while, loved it. that's my target population to work with, but i fell into this, and it really was a wonderful experience. i think the best thing about working with my mr/mh population was that, despite their behavioral excesses, they were completely devoid of malice. that's rare to find in people.

i'd like to get back to working with teens, though; i remember so well what it was like, the hardest part of my life so far, and i still really relate well to the issues one goes through at that age.

it was neat because the guys i took care of (the adolescents) were spitting images of my friends and i at that age, except now i get to play the old wise man.

the politics in this field are unbelievable. who would've thought?