Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just rambling about my P Bass and my Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by txpitdog, Jan 2, 2006.

1. txpitdog

txpitdog

Jan 1, 2006
    Ever found yourself thinking that there's just something about your old faithful standby has something to it that your new hot rod hussy just can't hang with?

Got a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 that I absolutely love, and I love it for all the things that make it different from my MIJ P bass. But my P plays so much better than my Warwick that I nearly always put my Warwick down and pick up my P bass to finish my playing/practicing.

Part of it is that the Warwick needs a set up. Part of it is that I've been playing the P for almost two years. I guess I'm used to the string spacing and the personality on the P. Haven't learned how to make the Warwick sing yet.

Even though I guess I'm leaning towards my P bass more, I'm addicted to the B string on the Warwick and the aggressive sound. As far as sound goes, you can't beat a Warwick and DR Low Riders.

2. do your warwick some justice...set it up properly. You can't make it "sing" unless she's speaking your language. you know what I mean?

with that said...aren't P-basses the sweetest thing? :)

3. I got a new Warwick as well. I love everything about it, but I have not gotten used to it yet.

I played my Conklin GT4 for about 2 years, and I love keep it out. Playing it is like riding a bike. I know the string spacing, I know the balance, and I know the sounds. Also, the necks are like night and day. While I prefer the thick Warwick neck, I still learned on a thin one. I have to adjust.

I will get used to playing my Warwick in time, but it still feels good to pull out the old Conklin.

4. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Warwicks seem to take a little longer to adjust to at least in my case. Not really sure of the reason, but the tone is worth the effort. Get it set up properly, maybe change the strings, and let it start speaking to you. My Jazzman 5 had to slap me upside my head before I woke up. :D

5. Wow, in a complete opposite occurence, I received an Ibanez SR406 for Christmas this year. Previsously I jammed on a Peavey Millenium 4 String Jazz Bass, the moment I picked up the Ibby, my fingers just fell into place, and it feels like I've known her for years. Plays much better than my Peavey, but is so darned quiet on the same small amp in comparission to the passive Peavey.

PS. Yes, Precision is the coolest!! I have P/J combo on my 6 and I always, always solo the neck P. Sounds so much cooler with the mids up and the bass bossted just a tad. Very kick ass B String.

-ryan-