1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just realized I almost made a mistake years ago

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by klejst, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Because this is not about bass and more of just a story I figured "off topic" would be the most appropriate forum for this. However last night my mother stopped by with some photos and stuff she wanted me to help her post on Craigslist to sell. After doing all that I came across the timeline of my Craigslist account. I have to admit it was kind of a little fun to back and see all the stuff I once owned and have sold over the years. Yes a lot of bass stuff too to be honest.

It was fun until I came across a few postings back in 2008 for my Hondo H-75 electric guitar and my heart kind of sunk, reason being is I almost sold probably the most important piece of music gear I have ever owned...why because it was my first actual guitar and even instrument ever. Luckily it never sold and I must of got tired of trying to sell it, but now in 2013 I think to myself "what the he** was I thinking back then in 2008?!"

Back story of the guitar goes all the way back to when I was in the sixth grade (around 11-12 years old, I am going to turn 27 next month) my buddies and I all were skaters and that was cool until my friend's parents bought him a Fender Strat (I believe it was MIM) and I remember he showed it off and I thought it was the coolest thing. So I begged my mother to take me to the local music store and of course she would not just up and buy me something like my friends parents did, however although not having a lot of money she finally caved and the salesman saw I really wanted a guitar so he cut us a break. Sold me the Hondo H-75 guitar along with a small Park practice amp for like $150. This was back in 1997.

I remember playing the crap out of it and pissing my dad off all the time "if you are not going to play Zeppelin then shut the he** up" he used to always say ha ha. I ended up blowing up the Park amp about a month or so in and with my paper route money buying a Marshall 1x12 combo which I still have as well. I basically self taught myself and jammed with my buddies, we had a little jam band going until we got older and hit high school. In high school I did not play much and after high school I joined a band and that's when I picked up the bass because they not only needed a bass player, but around my area at that point guitar players where a dime a dozen.

Anyways the moral of the story is I almost sold off my priceless (to me) black and white Hondo H-75 and threw away a good piece of my childhood. Luckily, I still own it and play it every now and then. And now-a-days even though it spends more time in it's bag, I do not plan on putting on the chop block again. It only took me seeing that post back in 2008 to realize it was almost gone and what a mistake I would of made. Thanks for reading my little story :)

2. Any pics of this guitar? Sounds like a nice piece.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I sold my first bass and amp to a beginning bassist for $40. Im not the sentimental type.

4. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Wish i still had my Grabber and HD 130, but i gots bettrr stuff now!

5. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    My first drum set was an old, well used, but still completely playable Rogers I got for $150. I sold it after "upgrading" to a new Mapex, which were a brand new brand at the time. Being unknowledgable about what I actually had with the Rogers, I sold it to a beginner for a cheap price, just as I had bought it. Paying it forward, as they say. I would later come to realize that I had no idea what a killer sounding vintage set that actually was and I regretted selling it. Not a sentimental thing, it was just a rare, high quality vintage kit. The Mapex ended up being poopiee. But, oh well. There's lots of other high quality kits out there on the market if I really want one badly enough.

6. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I'm thinking about selling all my gear but an acoustic guitar and a bass.

7. Sold my first guitar 23 years ago (a Series 10 with blue crackle finish.) It was an entry level piece of crap. $300 today buys you 10 times the guitar $300 did in the 1980s.

A few years after I sold it, I got kind of nostalgic remembering all the hours I spent playing that guitar.

About 10 years after I sold it, I happened upon it in a local guitar shop. I picked it up, played it for a few minutes and relived some memories. Then I realized it was still a piece of crap. So I hung it back on the wall and haven't missed it since.

8. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I'll trade you a leather jacket for an acoustic bass.
    The jacket was a gift from my parents, so its sentimental value is through the roof!

9. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I don't have any acoustic bass :p and I don't want your jacket :D

10. I am sentimental for my instruments. I've only sold one instrument, to raise a little money in order to move from my home province to Vancouver. I wish I hadn't. It certainly wasn't the best or anything, and I only sold it for maybe $100.

It was my first bass that I sort of bought in a hurry. I took music class in high school. I played the guitar for the first semester; but second semester I was required to choose a different instrument which read in a different clef. I chose the bass and begun searching over the weekend, for a bass to begin the 2nd semester music class on Monday. I fell in love with the bass sound & preferred it from that point.

It was a blue Vantage Flying V. The high school already had a Vantage bass, which actually sounded and played quite nicely, which was why I was drawn to it when I read the local classified ads.

11. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    My first "real" bass was a Rogue 5 string that I got out of Musician's Friend for like $165. It was a hunk of junk that sounded thin, had neck issues, dead spots, and wonky pots. I sold it as soon as I made the decision to get serious about bass playing and bought my LTD 305-B that is my secondary main. I sold that Rogue to a friend of mine, and he sold it to a friend of his.

I really wish I hadn't sold that Rogue now though, purely for sentimental reasons.

12. I sold my Geddy Lee Jazz bass a few years ago. It was the first really nice bass I owned and took me forever to save up for. I really do regret selling that now :(

13. I wish my dad liked Led Zeppelin - it would have made being a teen a bit more tolerable. I grew up in a household of symphony orchestra, and he really hated Black Sabbath so guess what got played the most ...

Great little story

14. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    How sad. Well, hopefully you've got something just as good or better now. If not, you need to go on a quest for "the one". ;) My "one" is a Squier CV P bass in a color I actually kinda detest, ironically enough. I've tried way more expensive basses though and I haven't found one I like better yet. :)

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Me neither when it comes to possessions. Anything I own is for sale.

-Mike

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I traded my first bass for a setup on my T-40. It was an Ibanez SG. I played it a lot for about a year but I never liked it and didn't miss it. I would only get "sentimental" about a bass if it was really fun to play. But then again, if that were the case I wouldn't get rid of it.

17. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont believe you, on either count!

Thats the regards in which I meant my statement as well. My stuff is just that, and it all has its price (cuz I can always buy better).

18. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I have a semi-acoustic fretless but no acoustic. and I don't like leather jackets, I don't rock enough.

19. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You'll rock harder with a leather jacket.

I'll throw in some POGs

20. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    No deal, I never had any pogs, never cared for them. I did pokemons then beyblades.