Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just realized my wife's cousin is a MOH winner from WWII

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Mar 26, 2005.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this guy just recently passed away :(. he's my wife's cousin on her mom's side. check out the story...

GREGG, STEPHEN R.

man i wish i coulda met him. sounds like a hardcore badass.
    :hyper:

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just... wow.

Ray

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Whoa! Dude had serious balls.

brad cook

4. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
  5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Now that's what I'm talking about!!! I agree..that guy sounds like a hardcore badass!

Served this country well.. RIP.

6. John, sorry to hear of his passing.

I'll bet more than anything he just thought he was "only doing his job."

Read through a lot of those MOH citations and you'll read about guys with more balls than any 200 guys you could name off.

There's a volunteer at work who made all 4 combat jumps in WWII with the 505th in the 82nd ABN. He doesn't see anything special about it, but man, I'm in awe of guys who get through stuff like that.

7. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    always remember to be good with your wife, she shares blood with this badass guy !!

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    My grandfather earned a similar medal for Hungary... by mistake. He still treasures it though.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Did the 505th take part in the Market Garden Jump into Holland? I know 82nd ABN was involved but I don't remember if it involved all of them. I'll bet he's got some stories!

brad cook

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, those guys had to look at it like a job that had to be done. i doubt any of them would've actually chosen to do it if it weren't necessary.

that's all the more telling of the mettle of their spirits.

11. There's a lot of guys who were "accidental heroes."

One of my old First Sergeants was awarded a Silver Star in Vietnam. Their position was getting overrun by a batallion sized element. A mortar round or something landed right by him and his buddy, they were confused by the concussion and ran out of there as quick as they could. They were all spun around and ended up "charging" the oncoming Vietnamese rush, it confused them, allowed his unit to counterattack and he and his buddy ended up being "heroes."

Then you have guys that full on knew what they were doing. LT Gregg is a prime example of this. Rushing a hill with a .30 cal to cover for medics, get captured, kill one of your captors, cause a retreat, call in indirect fire, retake the captured gun section... That's a whole war in 2 days, all of it's deliberate.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    That guy had bean-bag balls! Holy crap!

13. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Excellent.

Got the goosebumps now.

If I had the money I would buy all honorable soldiers a house and vehicle free of charge and give them an education.

Well, I don't have the money but whenever I can I will at least buy them a drink.

God bless the USA and the men and women who protect it.

[​IMG]
    (usually a smilie goes here but I don't feel it's appropriate right now)

Joe.

14. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
  15. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Firing from the hip? Good gravy, he's like Rambo.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    John's wife is a good person, and a cool lady. This doesn't surprise me in the sense that I would say "no way". You can tell quality people when you meet them. I'm sure her cousin isn't the only hero in those bloodlines.

-Mike

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    John - your family member did some great deeds. I'd be proud to know him. I think everyone who fought in either WW is a hero, and living that much closer to the battlefields than you guys, I think I feel it more. I know I’m super proud of my Grandaddy and he as an engineer was only really involved in the mopping up post VE day. However, I hate to piss on this USA! USA! USA! Parade, but he clearly wasn't defending the USA... was he? He was helping out in Europe. Lets not turn this into something its not. You’re not going to catch me pasting ****ing Union Jacks everywhere.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Dang bro......I don't get a USA USA USA vibe from this thread. I think people are just giving him his due for being a brave person.

-Mike

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool, thank you mike :)

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you're looking too hard. please stop.