Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just received a bass, don't know what kind it is

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selfishgrrl, Apr 5, 2002.

1. I just received a bass guitar for an Easter present. I've never owned one before, just always wanted to play. It doesn't have a name on it, but it has a symbol on the 12th fret that looks like a cross between a lava lamp and a fish... it also has both sets of pickups, my friend told me one's for Jazz and one's more for Rock. She plays a lot but doesn't know what kind I have, either. Anybody care to help?

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Well the pickup configuration you're talking about is the P J configuration. It should have a brand name on it though. If it's your first it might be something like a squier special p, or one of those ibanez bass with PJ.

Have a picture of it?

3. Sounds like it could be a Marlin. I've got an old guitar with a very similar sounding logo on the 12th fret.

But then they stopped making them years ago, so unless it's quite old...

4. 60HzRumble

60HzRumble

Mar 31, 2002
    Harrisburg, PA
    Without a picture of the front and back, it's practically impossible to identify what it might be... I have a late 60's Gibson SG copy bass that only has a serial # that I still can't figure out...

5. ... wonder if my attempt at posting a reply will work this time...

Okay, until I can get some pics developed, I did a thing in paint, it's really close to what the symbol looks like. There's no name on it, and I can't even find a serial number.. maybe I'm just kinda dumb? Anyway, I know nothing about it, neither does my brother, who bought it for me, used.

6. Mellem

Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    It looks like a...umm...well...you know.

a fish
    ;)

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    :confused: umm . . . tuna-bass?

8. Yeah, i really think that without a photo itself, it's going to be pretty hard for us to identify it for you.

9. The logo looks a lot like this, at least with my bad eyesight... (see pic)

If it is, then it's probably a mid 80s vintage Marlin bass and made in Korea. Most of them
    seemed to end up in the UK. As for the exact model - ???

10. OK, this time I'll actually include the photo...

11. paul_mk... that's exactly what it looks like. I'll get a picture or two up within the week, so you all can see what it looks like. Until then, thanks for the help so far!

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ok, so you seem to have Marlin bass of some sort. It should get you going. Welcome to bass world, and have a nice ride!

Having someone to teach you is probably the smartest thing, and good online lessons can be found at www.libster.com.

BTW, if talking about 'P' or 'J' -pickups confuses you, the one that has two parts is generally known as P-style pickup as it's found on Fender Precision Bass, and the pickup in one piece is J-style after Fender Jazz Bass. Fender made the first succesful basses, so that's why they got named after them. Lots of rock players use Precision so that's probably where the reputation of 'more suited for rock' comes from for P-pickup.

13. all right.. here ya go.
    just one for now... I'm not enough of a photoshop whiz to be doing this too often.
    ;)

14. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    That looks like a pretty damn nice starter!

15. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The bass you have is a copy of a Fender Deluxe Precision. The Fender is active, but your bass is probably passive (does't have an Equalizer built in). It looks like a sweet bass especially if you are just starting. The top pickup is a P style and the bottom pickup looks like 2 J style pickups placed next to each other to make a Humbucker. How does it sound?

16. Umm.. sounds like a bass? I don't have all that much experience, remember... and, uh, what's a Humbucker, by the way? And if you can answer that, mind explaining about an Equalizer??
    haha... I feel like such a bass virgin.

By the way, thanks again to everyone who helped, will help... :)

17. stonedbassist

stonedbassist Guest

Mar 16, 2002
    chicagoland
    I definatly did not expect that! Thats i pretty sweet bass you got. I'm willing to bet that 'bucker has some grow to it. Use the hummbucker if you wanna shake the ground and use the split pickup for classic rock or stuff with more mellow sounds.How high are the strings above the 12th fret (action).

Just for the record, the Fender version of that bass is the ONLY Fender i would ever consider getting, Even though I played one in Sam Ash and the action was a mile high.

18. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Here's a cool page from the Seymour Duncan site that has
    definitions for humbucker and other pickup type terminology -
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/glossary.html

"EQ" is short for equalization (or equalisation :) ). It can be
    simple as a single "tone" knob, or separate bass treble and
    middle controls.

19. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, that's humbucker allright. Not J-pickup, but a humbucker. J-pickup would look like a half of that. That's P-pickup on the red plastic plate(plate that is generally known as pickguard). Humbucker has two parts so they can cancel each other's hum and there's less hum in amplified sound.

Equalizer is kinda like bass and treble knobs on your stereo system, it allows you to dial in more(or less) high or low tones to amplified sound. Yours doesen't seem to have "active EQ"(active since it requiers batteries in it to work), since there are usually like 4-5 knobs on basses that have it.

Yours is so-called "passive" bass that has (usually) volume-, balance-(to switch between pickups) and tone-controls. Active EQ is, to put it simple, more fancy set of tone knobs.

But anyways, your bass looks very nice. Do you have amplifier for it yet so you can terrorize your parents more efficiently? If you don't have amp, I would suggest Peavey Microbass, but any other cheap 20-30 watt bass "combo"(for both the electric amplifier section and the speaker are in the same box) will do too, and you probably want headphones too. Well, your parents will want them, atleast :D

20. Wow, I was pretty surprised to know how neat my bass was. My brother got all proud of himself after he found out he picked a good one, though he didn't know it was good at the time. :D
    As far as an amp goes, I have one on loan from a friend, it's a little Marshall. It's about a foot tall, a foot wide, says "Park Series Custom" on the back and some other stuff that says "Mains Input 120V- 60Hz, 40 watts."
    If I knew what half of that meant, I could probably use it more efficiently. A couple of the knobs have been replaced, it's pretty beat up, but it does make loud sounds, which mom doesn't like, so I like it just fine!
    I'm looking for a better one, not necessarily new, but one that will work nicely. Any more suggestions?