1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just Received My Jazz 24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by srxplayer, Mar 27, 2006.

1. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I ordered this Fender Jazz Bass 24 in Cherry Burst. It came in a couple days early.:hyper:

Funny thing is ...this Cherry Burst isn't very red. It's more Orange / Red. Maybe they are thinking of those Mt. Rainier Cherries.:confused: I like it though.

Anyway, did a quick set up and it will be ready for rehearsal tomorrow.

I will post a picture of it's rather strange color when I can figure out how to keep this Kodak program from high jacking every jpeg on my computer.

Got it figured out but it's a crappy picture. I had to compress it. Anyway as you can see it's more like the color you see on a Spector Legend or Schecter Stilleto. Nothing like the "aged cherry burst" on the American Fenders.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Pretty! Tell us how it sounds with the band!

-Phil

3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    At least the top of yours looks like quilted maple. The Cherry burst one I got looked like the top was made from some driftwood from the bottom of the scrap bin. Long story short....sent it back and emailed a CEO of Fender a well deserved complaint! (in which Fender got back to me)

The happy side.....I ended up getting a Classic 60's Jazz instead which I am very happy with! :)

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    My new Jazz 24 lasted about 14 secounds into the first song.:confused:

Electronics crapped out.:crying: Tried a new Duracell, nothing, Tried a new cord, nothing, Tried going direct to the amp (bypassed my pedal board) and nothing.

I brought it so my friend could play it since I was actually on drums this weekend. We had no bass so we had to go get the church bass (a BB404) so we could rehearse.

To say that I'm dissapointed would be an understatement.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Contact Fender - I'm sure they'll make it right for you. It's probably a fluke - contamporary Korean instruments are fantastic and that's Seymour Duncan electronics.

6. It's not a fluke. I've gone through 2 of these already and have now got my money back. The same thing happened to me twice : the electronics go dead (burned out pre-amp?). My dealer told me that there is a redesign in the works, but I didn't want to take a chance on a third one, so now I'm thinking of getting either the Victor Bailey Jazz Bass, or the Quilt Maple Jazz Bass, both of which are Made in USA.

7. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If you go with a quilt maple top jazz, and you want a MIA, make sure you get the deluxe series qmt (MIA), and not the quilt top jazz bass which is not MIA. THE QMT and the Bailey are both about twice the cost of a jazz 24, but a Lakland 44-01 is about the same cost, and the electronics and build quality on those is impecable....

8. ive been playing my uncles jazz 24 lately until i get a new bass. been great for me so far

9. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Sorry to hear that srxplayer. When I hear "active fender" I'm usually turned off right away. Not to say that they are all bad but to me it seems that whenever fender tries to do something fancy, they screw it up. My brand new MIA P-bass is still in the shop, I received it with a bad volume pot, not a big enough reason to return it considering the fit and finish, set up too, was perfect, but I'm also having my tech remove that worthless s-1 switch. When It comes to fender I want it to be just a meat and potatoes bass, the more features it has, the more can go wrong.

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Spoke to Fender this morning. They said I would need to take it to one of their authorized service center get it looked at.

The two in my area was The Amp Doctor and Music Mikes both in Riverside. The next closest location is in Covina. If you read my rant about the Amp Doctor than you know thats not an option. I called Music Mikes and they told me it would be about a three to four week turn around. Approval and parts from Fender can ad more time to that.

I called GC San Bernardino and they said they would order me another one, exchange it for something else, or refund my money. Whatever I want to do.

I'm going back and fourth on trying one more time or having them order me a Big Block P-Bass or an Aerodyne. They cost about the same.

11. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I hear ya, unfortunately for me, all the authorized fender repair shops are close to an hour away from me. I ended up just taking it to my local tech, hes a good guy whos worked on just about all my basses before. Only downside is since I'm having him remove the s-1 switch I'm voiding my electronics warranty :meh: but for some reason the tech says that by removing the switch it will make the pickup hotter. In my book, more volume = good :bassist:

12. I'm not even sure that "approval and parts" add much time o that. I just went through an "experience" with SWR/Fender that only got cleared up fast because I'm lucky enough to *know* someone, and word is that pretty much every experienced electronics tech shop has a wait that long. I was quoted two weeks before my preamp could even be bench-tested.

EE seems to be an excellent field to enter right now...

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I decided to try another one. I really liked it so I will give it one more try. If it craps out again I will get something else.

I still have my trusty passive Jazz that I really like so she will get me along just fine.

I will let you know how it goes.

14. Got a refund on my Jazz 24, and put an order in for a Victor Bailey Jazz Bass. Only problem is, it will take 2 to 3 months to arrive. I sent an email to Fender and they said there are a lot of back orders on this model. Well, I hope good things come to those who wait!

15. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    When I ordered my new Jazz 24 the manager at GC San Bernardino offered me another bass to use until my new one comes in.

I didn't take him up on it. I thought that was pretty cool though. I need the 24 fret neck so I will just use my Ibanez for that and my regular Jazz for everything else.

16. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Sorry you've been going through this with your new Axe, I hope everything works out for you with the new one.

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Thanks.

I will let you know how it goes when the new gets in.

18. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Just picked up my new one at G.C. So far so good. This one came with a much better set up right out of the box. Tuned it up and it's not bad. Changed the battery to a Duracell and the pre-amp didn't crap out.

The color is not the same though. This one is less red and more amber. The other bass had more red on the edging this one really looks like the same color that you see on a Schecter Stilleto. Probably made in the same factory. I liked the other color a little better but this one works so I'll stick with it.

Here she is.