1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just recorded some of my slap-bass riffs!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 43apples, Apr 16, 2006.

1. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    So i decided to record some of my old slap-bass riffs, just for fun. I've called the clip "The Thumbdancer" .

Drums is from Steinberg Groove Agent, a PITA to program and use. But sounds pretty nice as soon as you get the hang of it. Instrument used was my old, ****ty Squier P-Bass 5-stringer, with 6months old D'Addario strings.

Preamp was a Digitech RP100, with a clean tone + compression for the slap & fingerstyle, and the "rectifier" model for the sheehan-ish lead . Soundcard is ****ty, the cheapest Creative card there is. So i guess that explains why the sound isnt the best.

Everything was done in one take, except for a part where i somehow missed the strings. Hey, i'm just 15 years old, i'm not perfect!

And oh: Don't take this clip too seriously... i'm not much of a slap player, i just use it to impress guitarists! :hyper:

www.darkoceangame.info/X3000/The_Thumbdancer.mp3

Enjoy!

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Not bad, bro!

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, not bad at all, judging by your review (fairly down on ourselves aren't we. ;) ) I was expecting mindless wank... this is pretty groovy. Cool jam. Whoa! I just noticed you're only 15!! If this is how you sound "immature" at this rate, you'll be a monster when you're an old man like me! Keep it up!!

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hey Erlend! What a great groove! :bassist: Extremely impressive job from someone who's "not much of a slap player"!

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I love how people come on here, talk about how much they suck when they actually play amazing. Especially great for those of us who really do suck, such as yours truly. :rollno:

That was awesome. Very groovy. Especially since you're only 15, and its a squier p, and you don't slap much.

Incredible.

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    :( Me too.

That was a killer groove. Some SOLID chops, tight feel, and the Squire sounds great too.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

One of the biggest assets IMO. Not a bunch of unrelated licks, but a very coherent unity.

8. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Sounds good kid! Do me a favor though... don't go and get a big ego and become a complete jerk like so many people who have got talent do.

9. Thats awesome dude! Makes me insanely jelous! You B*stard! hahaha, I'm kidding dude, keep up the awesome work!

10. ...and alot of us here! Ugh, just as I was starting to feel like I was actually getting somewhere...must...wood...shed...

After my exams have passed, gimme a couple months :meh:.

Erlend, that was honestly awesome, keep up the good work :bassist:.

11. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks everyone! :)

I didn't expect to get so many kind replies, it's really overwhelming! ;)

When it comes to "groove"... the only place on the track where i "got into it" was the A-D-A-E part right after the distorted solo. :D

12. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    You're 2 years younger than me, yet so many years ahead of me when it comes to bass. Great playing!

Now I must practice.....

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Great job! Your time is spot on. You did a good job with the preamp and compression too - I would have never guessed that was a crappy Squier P-bass.

14. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    very nice

15. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Thanks! :)

Well, it's not much of a preamp really, it's a cheap plastic stompbox intended for guitar, with bulit-in cheesy rhythms! ;)

I guess i just got a damn good squier :D

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think it's proof that you don't need high end gear to be a good bassist or to even sound good tonally.

17. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Man, 1st I really liked your tone. 2nd I thought your timeing was right on. keep on diggin new stuff up.

18. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Awesome!!
    :bassist:

I just don’t get you can get such crystal clear bass sound with a cheap soundcard!
    When I used a so called pro soundcard it sounds muddy as hell.

Hvor lenge har du spilt?

19. Glad to hear it wasn't another poor attempt at classical thump by some youngun. Hard to believe you got a p-bass with six month old strings to sound like that. Very nice playing.

20. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Ooh, another viking! :D

Forgive me for the bump ;).

Well, i have been playing bass for about six-seven years. Though, i don't practice very much, maybe half an hour a week at average.

The biggest factor when it comes to clear, bright bass tones IMO, is using stainless steel strings. I put a set of D'Addario XL (?) 45-130's on my bass right before christmas, and they're still on. I guess they still sound bright because i always wash my hands before playing, and wipe down the strings after playing.

I also eq'ed out lots of the mids, and added some treble on the cheesy bulit-in EQ in my Digitech.

Also, if anyone want to know (i doubt it), my bass is the "Special V" model which has a P-bass shape, an useless B string, and two cheap, stock J-bass pickups for FOUR STRING. So my high G is seriously thin, and theres NO low B to be heard. The middle three strings sounds good though :).

I also rewired the pickups in series, to one master volume, and bypassed the tone control to get more punch and mids.

I'll stop replying to this thread now BTW, since i'm afraid that my "bumping" is inapropriate. I'd be VERY happy to answer any PM's though! :)

Again, Thanks alot! You guys made my day! :hyper:

-Erlend