Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

just restrung, buzz on A string? help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I recently acquired a '78 P, and decided to restring it to see if it might help with some buzz i'd been getting around the 17th fret on the A and D string. Well, the refret didn't help, and now my A string buzzes all the time, no matter what I do. FYI, I cut and crimped the E and A string before winding them, if that might be the cause of my problem. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm frustrated.
    -Scatt

2. Did you change string gauge?

Have you made any adjustments with the truss rod or bridge?

3. Someone move this to setup

4. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I should have mentioned this earlier: the string buzzing is not a result of my setup. The strings feel like they are a slightly larger gauge, but they fit snugly in the nut slot. The buzz happens no matter what fret I press on, and no matter what part of my bass I grab to attmept to stop from rattling minutely. On second thought, perhaps I should tighten up all of the screws on my bass. Would a product like Fast Fret help with this buzz, or should I just put on a new A string?