1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just restrung lapland 55-02 and now all strings are on frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by highwaybill, Apr 28, 2019.

1. highwaybill

highwaybill Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Chicago Suburbs
    The bass played completely fine. Put new strings and now they are not off the fretboard at all. Im losing my mind!

2. Are they lighter gauge then what was on there? Sounds like there’s a back bow and you need to loosen the truss rod a bit.

3. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Lapland?

Ali express knock off?

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    As others suggested, I'm guessing maybe you used lighter gauge strings than your last set, or perhaps you removed all the strings at once and then installed the new set.

Nothing wrong with removing all the strings first (sometime you need to do this for cleaning the fretboard). But if you change the strings one at a time, it usually avoids this from happening because the neck doesn't have a chance to start "doing it's own thing" while the tension is off of it. At this point though, you'll need to make a truss rod adjustment to get things back to normal.

This video is chock full of great string changing tips - well worth the watch.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  5. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    It’s likely that strings are a lighter tension than the previous ones. You may need to loosen the truss rod a tad, or a truss rod adjustment in combination with an adjustment of the bridge saddles.

I suggest you educate yourself on this by watching the appropriate YouTube video or take the bass to a luthier to get a set up.