1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just saw a Gibson ES 335

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jughead6, May 4, 2015.

1. There is no purpose for this thread other than to tell you, the faceless internet, that I have just seen a Gibson ES 335 for sale in one of my local stores. It is stupidly expensive and is not my preferred color, but I will buy it if I win the lottery this weekend.

Now, we can resume normal programming.

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    They had a new-production 335 bass in the showroom when I visited the Memphis factory this past summer. Best-sounding bass in the place. No, I didn't buy it. Almost bought a Casady though...

3. Aha, that's interesting. The one I saw was dated 2013, and I was under the impression that they weren't being built anymore. Well, if there is new production then I might wait until I can get one in cherry red.

4. Skullie

Skullie Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    Gibson made the ES 335 Bass for one year in 2013 at the Memphis factory. I have one in Cherry Red, amazing bass IMO. The fit and finish are outstanding. The ceramic humbuckers work great with the hollowbody. The V/V/T/T and 3 way switch are a big plus for me too.

BearCave likes this.
  5. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Well there ya go. I was using the phrase "current production" to distinguish from anything built in prior decades. Thanks 55 for showing up here and setting us straight! And yeah, that was a hard bass to walk away from...

6. Skullie

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    I figured that's what you meant. I guess production costs and demand dictated why Gibson only made the bass for one year. Hopefully you can grab one some day. But the Casadys are sweet basses too.

Jughead6 likes this.
  7. Haha, I mentioned it to my significant other yesterday. She insists that I must get rid of one bass in order to buy another. Now, which child shall I sell?

8. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    The Mustang. Or possibly one of the Victories, since you have a pair.

Oh, sorry - was that a rhetorical question? ;)

Jughead6 likes this.
  9. This is why I need to win the lottery!

Tbone76 and ctmullins like this.
  10. Madunic Music

Madunic Music Supporting Member

May 13, 2005
    Milwaukee, WI
    I absolutely love my ES-335! Yes, it is true that Gibson Memphis only made them for one year in 2013 in which I snatched one up back then. I asked the tour guide when I went through Gibson Memphis' Factory on a tour back in January on why I didn't see any ES-335 basses in production and that's what he told me as well.

20150422_183536.

Mastermold, funk7856 and Jughead6 like this.
  11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You'd have to pry my Victory Artist from my cold dead hands...all 14 lbs of it

Jughead6 likes this.
  12. Ha ha, I know that feeling. You will have to pry my 2 Victory Standards from each of my cold dead hands. All 28 lbs of them.

13. That truly is a thing of beauty. You are very lucky. I like the pickup positions on the ES 335 more than the Midtown, although that is also a fine bass.

BearCave likes this.
  14. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
  15. Skullie

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    I'm surprised it took this long for a post putting down the ES 335 Bass.

16. I don't think GretschWretch was dissing Gibson. Just making the point that most new Gibsons are expensive, and there are some very good and cheaper alternatives. Heck, I even saw a 1967 EB-2 for sale on the internet that was cheaper than the 2013 ES-335 in my local shop!

But that's the good thing about bass players that own Gibsons: they know the faults/limitations of the their instruments. Try getting a guy who owns nothing but Fender Precision basses to admit their faults! ;)

The good news: I bought a lottery ticket today and expect to be rolling in gold on Sunday morning.

ctmullins likes this.
  17. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Those who have seen my posts in other threads would know that I indeed am *not* dissing Gibson. I have a history and respect for Fender, but I have a longer history and a fondness for Gibson/
    Epiphone. But the Dillion so thoroughly satisfied my "want" for a long-scale EB-2, which I have had to deal with from as far back as 1971, that I simply feel no urging for the more expensive Midtown or Memphis 335 basses. For me, style and substance trump the name on the headstock.

Gaolee, I Need a six... and Jughead6 like this.
  18. I Need a six...

I Need a six...

Feb 4, 2015
    Oh gosh yes, i got cut down big time for saying the p bass has limitations, I'm a proud p bass owner and I'll admitt it does. Never seen a Gibson bass in person, one of the only brands I've never witnessed first hand(not really but of the big name brands )

19. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Love my '67 Rivoli. Not a Gibson, not even a Kalamazoo Epi, just a cheap bolt on Japanese model. Sounds great, all smooth tone big and round. Light (neck dropper) but I fixed that with a wide suede leather strap- better friction so can't slide as easy.

rivoli.

Only drawback I can see to others (current production and vintage USA) is that the bridge on min is not fixed. I had to make a thin pencil mark on the body so when I replace the strings I can get the bridge back into the same spot. Still have to adjust intonation every time I change strings, which luckily is only once or possibly twice a year- don't play it nearly as often as my J copy (GF body, MM neck, Fender and other hardware and electronics).

BearCave likes this.
  20. Skullie

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    For me quality, sound, craftsmanship and playability trump everything. No matter what the headstock says. As I mentioned earlier, the ES 335 just turned out to be a killer bass. If I come across a Dillion I'll see how it compares.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    BearCave likes this.