1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just saw Joy Formidable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Jun 18, 2013.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Just posting that I caught the Joy Formidable at Toad's in New Haven, CT last night, and I have to say it was a two thumb's-up show. Huge stage energy from the trio, big wall-of-sound numbers. The bassist, Rhydian Dafyd Davies, played a Fender Jaguar through a pair of 8x10 cabs (BIG sound!), couldn't see where he had his head, but used a pedalboard that must have come off the Starship Enterprise. Seriously, I've never seen so many pedals lit up at once. There was a lot of loops and samples, which is not normally my thing, but they played with them very smoothly and it didn't detract from the immediacy of the performance. The lead singer/guitarist, Ritzy, is a great front person, little blond pixie of a woman who could really work the audience and rock out, I kept thinking she was a cross of Blondie and Mary Poppins. I got my very own high-five from her in the final number (woo hoo I'm a fanboy!).

There were two groups opening. The second of them was a guitar-and-drums duo from Boston, seemed like college boys, and they were kind of different and interesting but I wasn't impressed - like they were trying too hard to be different and the singer affected a weird keening voice like he was trying to be Bob Dylan. Spent most of their set checking my watch.

The first opener, though, was some young guys from Nashville called the Vinyl Thief, and THEM I was impressed by. Great stage energy, very tight, very rich and detailed songwriting. Picked up their demo CD which shows the songwriting but is a little tame and pop-sounding, live they had a lot more energy and drive than you'd think from that CD. Hoping to see them go places in the future...

2. I searched TB for The Joy Formidable. This came up and I'm sad to see nobody replied.

I guess they're not really that we'll known yet. I heard their single "Whirring" on the radio a couple years ago and thought it was pretty awesome. Then I got ahold of the album to find that that song actually has another three minutes of awesome soundscape that explodes into a sonic euphoriagasm! I was sold at that point.

I haven't seen them live but I would love to. The YouTube performances they did for KEXP are really good. Its wierd to see a strat look HUGE on somebody. My purchase of a black jaguar last year...might... have been influenced somewhat, if perhaps subconsciously, by my enjoyment of the music this band makes.

3. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    Saw them in March. Easily one of the best shows I've ever been to. Should be way bigger than they are.

4. wolffire99

wolffire99 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    Great great band

5. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Great band! I missed an opportunity to see them a year ago, and so I was extra careful not to miss them this last Spring at The Venue:

IMG_0597.

Indeed, Starship Enterprise pedalboards!

IMG_0583.

221d6f46-fadf-4bc9-a43f-cce5d4f0d250.

IMG_0595.

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Great pix! I wish I'd had a camera when I saw them.

7. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Those pics were taken with my phone.

All the members of the Joy Formidable are great in their own right, but I particularly enjoy their drummer, Matthew James Thomas.