Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just saw King Crimson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Tony who?

Trey Gunn is possibly the finest musician I've ever had the pleasure of watching and hearing. His basslines, all on his signature Warr 10-string, are masterful combinations of countermelody and rhythm, and mostly in crazy time signatures to boot. (Any band that can pull off a piece as complex as "The ConstruKCtion of Light" goes in my book as the official Greatest Band Ever).

By the way, that John Paul Jones character isn't half bad either ;)

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hee hee I'm going next Wednesday. Did they do a lot of stuff from THRAK? I love ConstruKtion.

3. If memory serves, the setlist was:

Dangerous Curves (new tune, it's on Level Five)
    Frying Pan
    EleKCtric (as for "Dangerous Curves")
    The ConstruKCtion of Light
    Improv
    Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Pt. IV
    Dinosaur
    VROOOM

Encore 1:
    The Deception of the Thrush
    Level Five

Encore 2:
    Red

I may be wrong about the order of the last four songs in the main set--I'm pretty sure that they ended with VROOOM, though.

The improv was supposed to segue into "Larks' IV," but it looked like Fripp and Belew had a bit of miscommunication, and the band just stopped. Enormous applause followed--'twas a fine bit of THRaKKing--and Belew said, "We were supposed to go into the next song from here, but I think we'd like a little more of this," at which point the crowd gave the band a standing ovation.

I like the new material. "EleKCtric" is best described as being the soundtrack for "Snow White" if Tim Burton had directed it. "Dangerous Curves" reminds me of the intro to Dream Theater's "1928 Overture" as played by Kraftwerk. "Level Five" is a fine bit o'shred courtesy of Mr. Fripp.

The high point of the set, was, of course, Trey's solo in "Thrush." Just thinking about it is causing me to shiver.

4. you really should check out the show if you have not seen these guys. I saw them recently in Atlanta and Trey blew me away...and watch how he 'makes love to the bass' (quote from a beautiful chick standing next to me)...also the interplay between Fripp and Belew is like nothing I've ever seen.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wish they were playing Seattle again, but I can't complain after seeing them with Tool. :) It was really something to see bunches of Tool fans who were blown away by Trey's beautiful solo in Thrush.

Then again, my favorite comment was, "What about the bass player, that was weird. He was strokin' that thing, what's up with that?".

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Just caught them last night.

wow.

60% of the time I was stering at Trey Gunn. What an incredible musician!

And Pat Mastelotto, Adrian Belew, and Robert Fripp are no slouches either!!!! :)

An amazing show.

7. i saw them a week ago... very good show.

row 10 left-center....

every one made eye contact with me! (minus fripp... the halfdead/half alive man he is in concerts)

8. Rock on! I sure as hell wouldn't have been able to handle them when i was your age.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    KC was very, very good here in Chicago last month - perhaps even great.

But...JPJ absolutely blew me away!