1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just saw Lee Sklar tonight with Toto

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeBass, Jul 19, 2007.

1. OMG!!!!!!
    I guess Mike Pocarro hurt his hands (many prayers to him that it's minor) 5 days before they were supposed to leave for this tour.
    Lee got the stuff and freakin' NAILED it to the f-in' floor!!!!!!

This from what I was told was the first stop on the tour.

I gotta say, they were tight as hell. Some of the things they were doing.....the odd meters...the off time breaks and hits.........my god did they kill it!!!! And Lee played it all like he's been playing it for years!

I like Toto, a fan if you will, but after this.
    WHEW!!!!!!!!

BTW, his rig was all EA.
    A 210 on the floor and what looked like either a pair of 12's stacked next to it.
    Couldn't tell exactly which head, but it had a LED meter on it (there were two in his rack)
    He played a Dingwall 5 (red metal flake/glitter no less!:D ) with the pick-ups back I guess where a Music Man pick-up would be, if it were fanned fret.
    But it wasn't one pick-up, it was clearly two, but real close together. And it did sound Music Man-ish in a way.
    <edit> just looked at the Dingwall site- it's a Z2.
    Like this: [​IMG]
    And it had TWO D-Tuners on it. On the B and E strings.
    Couldn't tell if he used them though.

2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    there's an interview with leland in a german magazine.

he said he had to learn the setlist in 5 days.

he's used the d-tuners in the past (the bass is about 8 years old) and likes the ability to play drop D on a 5-string and the effect of a low A-string but hasn't installed D-tuners on his newer dingwall.

anyway, maybe i'll check them out when they're in germany, sounds like a great concert!

3. Do so, it was a GREAT show!

4. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    i've seen them 3 times now, never with Sklar on bass, but it was alwayas a blast and the musicianship is excellent. the excessive guitarsolos's do bother me a bit but hey, played by a great guitarist so it's ok. I wish i had seen them with Jeffrey Porcaro, the band had such a different feel with him.

5. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I've seen them twice, in 1999 and 2005 (IIRC). Great musicians all of them, they were my favourite band for at least 5 years (I have almost all their albums...) Only bad thing is the singer Bobby Kimball. He just can't sing well anymore. Hes singing is always in the range ok --> terrible. The guitarist Steve Lukather sings way better.

It's a pity that too many people talk bad about Toto. I think they have a lot of really great songs. Although several of them are very demanding technically, they don't lose the groove.

6. Alvaro just introduced me to Toto, great band.

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Awesome. Toto is great, and Lee has always been one of those Super Pros.

8. Actually, he sounded pretty damn good last night.

Funny side bar, during "Tow The Line" Bobby Kimble put the mic towards the audiance.
    My buddies sister (who can sing her ASS off) was right there where he pointed the mic and she sang the first chorus from the crowd (front row if you will) and killed it.
    They pulled her on stage and she sang the rest of the tune and the whole time the whole band had this look on their face ::eek:
    I don't think they expected 1) a woman to sing it- and freakin' KILL
    and 2) a black woman at that!!! (not that it matters, but it's Toto and an old Toto tune).

I don't know whats up, but they talked to her for a LONG time after the show!

9. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Do you mean "Hold the Line"?

10. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    +1 on the Toto show Mike! It killed like crazy. Shame though that they can sell out a 20,000 seater over seas and could not sell out the Royal Oak Theatre, not a slame against Toto, just the opposite! Just goes to show the US main stream of today. Toto could blow out many of the live acts touring right now. I'd like to see them team up on one of those multi act arena tours to get the exposure they so much deserve again here in the states. The New album "Falling in Between" ROCKS! Lee Sklar was AWSOME, nailed it in a very non "look at me way" just a stellar player...a true great.

11. OOPS!!!
    Yup!!!!
    HOLD The Line!!