just saw medeski martin and wood

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by adube810, Jun 20, 2008.

1. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    it was amazing. i saw them in prospect park last night. chris wood busted out a sick upright solo. the whole show was funky as hell...just thought id share :smug:

2. They always do put on a great show. Glad you had a good time!

I learned mostly all of my off-rhythms from Billy Martin... he just thinks of such incredibly weird patterns and I love to mimic them on bass. Chris is a monster as well and, in my opinion, is one of the most skilled bass players around today. He's very good at picking the perfect notes rather than playing too many of them. I don't even want to get into John Medeski... his awesomeness cannot even be explained :p.

3. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    I saw them in Iowa City tonight. Fantastic. Now I have to buy the CD's.

4. Man, you guys are so lucky.

5. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Last year I couldnt go to the show they played near me so I hope they come back soon cause I love that group and Ive never had the opportunity to see them live.

6. Great band, I went on the concert 2 years ago wehen they were on the tour together with John Scofield's group and John joined them on a couple of tunes. Amazing performance!

7. Caught them at Middle Tennessee State University maybe three years back, and still holds a slot as one of the best shows I've ever seen. Most of it was completely improvised. Basically, in two sets they only hit Pappy Check, Smoke, Anonymous Skulls, End Of The World Party, and Uninvisible for an encore, all the rest was made up of the best live jamming I've ever seen (and I saw Phish). The setlist is the only one I can't find on any sites.

It was absolutely sick, though. Pretty much everyone there that was heavy into following them confirmed that it was probably the best set they'd played all tour, so I was pretty excited.

Then we all piled in the car, started pulling out, and almost ran over Chris Wood as he just kind of appeared out of a row of cars in the parking lot. :p He was a great guy, came over and talked to us for a second, everybody got a kick out of it.

8. buckminster

buckminster Inactive

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Didn't even know they were still together. Man I gotta get off this forum and get a life...

Last album I had was It's a Jungle in Here. Great stuff with Scofield.

9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I've seen them a few times in last ten years, most of them really enjoyable. I remember seeing them in an open park years ago and although I appreciated how "outside the envelope" they were playing, it was honestly almost unlistenable. They played a couple of recognizable tunes and the rest was a big jam sandwich. I have no problem with that, but they did an extended atonal mess for well over 15 minutes that literally lost the audience. Medeski was just pounding on the keys with his fists, Martin was just running all over his kit with unrelated rhythms and Wood had detuned his upright so the strings were flopping all over. It was cool in a way, but also had a boring element to it, and I really like weird stuff.

Thankfully they've never done that kind of thing at any other live shows I've seen. They are an outrageously awesome band and worth every penny live...

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    :eek: Dude!

11. spalka621

spalka621 Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    I saw them last week in Lancaster. They played Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, as the encore!

12. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I was listening to that show last night. Loved it! I got it from http://bt.etree.org

There have been a lot of their recent shows posted there. I especially enjoy the one from 12-31-2001 that was recently posted. The sound is really great on that recording.

I missed them at the Rochester International Jazz Festival on 6/21. I almost went but I've been dealing with some neck/shoulder/upper back pain. I was completely bummed. It was a free outdoor show. The weather was miserable (rain/lightning) that night; at least that's how it was here in Buffalo, but I wouldn't have cared. There are some pretty good YouTube videos available from that show so I didn't completely miss out.

Peace,
    Joe

13. XavierG

XavierG In Memoriam

These guys are creme de la creme. Woods is one funky bassists. Check out their YouTube videos with Scofield.... Just WOW!

14. buckminster

buckminster Inactive

Apr 29, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I told you I gotta get off this forum and get a life...:rollno:

15. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    It's cool man. Didn't mean nuthin' by it. :)

Peace,
    Joe

16. anonymous073020131

anonymous073020131 Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    thats awesome dude- wood is a sick bass player, especially on shine it and end of the world party

17. gotmule?

gotmule?

Apr 24, 2008
    I saw them on 2/24/08 at Count Basie Theater in Red Bank. Great show! I think there is a couple videos from the show on youtube. It really influenced my bass playing.

18. I wish they'd come to canada

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd like to see them live, but I gotta say, Medeski kind of bores me. The rhythm section is tight as hell, but I don't know, I'm going to have to get some of the stuff with Scofield, an additional musical voice would add a whole other world of interest. I saw the Youtube vid of them with Marc Ribot (who I totally dig), doing Hey Joe, and it was pretty amazing.

20. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I know what you're saying Matt. MMW is a bit minimalist at times. That's not for everyone. I really been into groups recently that create soundscapes and slowly morphing grooves. You're right about Sco and Ribot (hey, those rhyme). They provide another level of dynamic to the group. Who doesn't enjoy Sco?

The show I saw in Buffalo not too long ago had a lot of the minimalist side of MMW. The majority of the first set morphed slowly. The groove was deep. The last song of the first set they just cut loose into a funky organ dance number ("Tootie Pa Is The Thing") and the crowed exploded with excitement. Everyone was moving, bouncing, and dancing around. That was a cool moment. It was almost like they were stretching a giant rubber band and that last number of the set was the release. Wild.

Peace,
    Joe