Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just saw Rush

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by peteroberts, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Ged was great! Most of the night he played a Black Jazz with a white pickguard. I wonder if it was the one he used on Moving Pictures - it sure sounded like it. Sounded just like it when they did 'YYZ'. Neil sounded great too.

I heard that those guys are in their '50's now... they can still rock!

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Yep Neil turned 50 the day I saw them. Great show.

3. I have to say it was an awesome show! But...you've got to tell me what they did for the encore. I had to leave before the end. I've been sick, and I just couldn't hang in any longer, and I cruized right when they came back on stage.

Lisa

4. the encore was cool... a little old school medley of 'By-Tor and the Snow Dog' and 'Working Man'. Alex got out his old white jazz box for that!

5. It was a killer show, indeed. They played their asses off and sounded great. They just keep getting better and better every time I see them live.

6. I saw them this past Friday in Palm Beach. Great show. I love them all but Peart really carries that band and is a monster drummer. They were soooo tight. Geddy Lee and Lifeson were wonderful but I have to admit that I thought Geddy's jazz bass tone was a bit lacking: thick but dull with no edge or bite. May have been the mix and sounds system. A great show.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, another great show. i agree about geddy's tone. he's only going direct and it sounds it. bass+ only direct=weak live imo.

the black and white jazz he played was the mp bass. the other two were apparently mij jazzes with the black block inlay necks. might have been gl sig jazzes, although the red one looks like it has a flamed maple top.

8. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Sunday night was my first Rush show and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My only complaint, since I wasn't close enough to see much of what Geddy was doing, is that the video monitor spent a total of about 30 seconds focused on his bass during the show. Every time they showed Alex the focus was on his hands and his guitars, but when they moved to Geddy you only saw his face while he was singing. Next time I'll bring binoculars, I guess.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I saw them back on July 14th at the Tweeter Center, and they sounded incredible. Their sound and overall performance was the best I've ever experienced at one of their shows.

Since they hadn't toured in so long, it seemed like they played with a renewed sense of energy, and they really looked like they had fun. The crowd was starved for their first Rush show since 5-6 years ago, and it was cool to see such an enthusiastic reception from the crowd.

In the days following the show, I vowed I would have to see them again this year no matter what. I've been counting the moments until I see them again, and in less than two weeks from now, the time will come! I'm going to see 3 great acts in the next few weeks: 1) STP-1st time this year, 2) Rush-2nd time this year, and 3) Tool-2nd time this year...but Rush is the only show that really has me chomping at the bit. STP is tomorrow night, and I almost couldn't care less. Not with the other Rush show still pending. Sorry to get carried away, I'm a hopeless Rush fan forever!

JT - I wonder if those other basses are his Custom Shop jammies from the 90's modded with those sig-necks because he prefers the neck profile? I'm going to try and pay more attention to what basses he switches in and out this time.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I thought his tone was great at Phillips. Had a nice overdriven thing going on (maybe it was the fact that I left my earplugs at home, though, and what I heard was my eardrums ripping to shreds).

I thought they sounded, and looked like they were having a ball the entire evening. This was only the 3rd, or 4th time seeing them live, but it looks like taking 6 years off freshened up the material for them, and they weren't bored playing it.

I'm glad Geddy didn't attempt to sing Temple of Syrinx in the original register. His voice sounded great for the full 3 hours, but I can't imagine he can still get up THAT high, anymore. I'm glad he knows his limitations (saying a lot for someone who plays bass, keyboards, and sings all at the same time...).

I just hope I don't have to wait until 2006 to see them, again.

11. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Great show. Plus I think I saw JT. If he was wearing shorts and a black t-shirt, and had his arms up in the air holding beer while yelling, then I definitely saw him.

:D

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If it was a beer, then it wasn't JT. The man don't drink (it's unnatural, I tell you...) ;)

13. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I thought I saw JT in the parking lot underneath Philips before the show. The guy I saw had the same haircut (there's two of them?), but he was pounding beers so I realized it wasn't him.

14. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I think I saw that same guy you did. His beard/face looked different (from the pics) and he was acting a bit too crazy to be the Conklin Man. Not to mention he probably would have been wearing those ripped up jeans. ;)

But seriously, two of those haircuts in one place? It can only be at a Rush concert! :p

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nope, that wasn't me. no beer. :D

i was, however, on the 12th row, so i did have a reasonable reason to celebrate :D :D

16. I'm going to see them in Montreal on friday! woohoo! I've waited 15 years to see them again! Glad to hear good reviews!

17. I was looking for you guys, but only came across one of my guys from work. I was in row R right next to the sound guy, so I was in a perfect spot for sound. Unfortuantely, I had 2 wannabe drummers in front of me, and every time I got a good look at Geddy, they'd start air drumming!

Lisa

18. I saw millions of those air-drummers! Too funny!

19. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey! I was in Section 6, Row U right next to the sound guy! Which section were you in?

I think Section 102 was the winner of Most Air Drummers. I swear, during YYZ, I looked over and there were 4 rows ALL doing the same thing. Cracked me up. :D

20. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I was sitting two seats over from a kid no older than 10, who was air drumming for most of the show. He was pretty good, too.