Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just saw Shaun of the Dead...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fatbassjazzer, Sep 24, 2004.

1. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    WOW. That movie was so awesome. 10 stars easily. It had a lot more suspence than I expected it too. But that was just fine. I highly recommend checking it out to fans of all movies. I couldn't help but notice a few references. Ash (Evil Dead), Fulci's Resturant (Lucio Fulci), and the most obvious one, We're coming to get your Barbara! (Night of the Living Dead). A must see! :D

2. I really want to see that! Maybe when it starts playing around here I will go see it with a friend.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Saw it a little over a month ago, and thought it to be highly amusing and entertaining.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Excellent. I hope it comes to my backwoods town.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Have cable internet? It can.

...Not that I'm advocating anything, or nothing.

6. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Today was opening day in Atlanta.

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Been there, done that :cool: (We got it in England about 4 months ago).

I aggree that it is a great film :D I (or my friends) didn't find it as humourous as a lot of people online did (mostly American), despite the fact that we all love Spaced (British sitcom with half the SotD cast) as well as owning a vast library of Zombie films between us..

I'd give it 8 stars :) May I'll up it when I finally get to re-watch it!

8. Get the DVD - the film is intentionally littered with Dawn of the Dead and other zombie movie references. The cast / producers / extras / tea lady commentary on the DVD explains all.

By the way, Spaced is the greatest TV show to come out of Britain since The Office. Official!

9. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Been watching Spaced for a little while now. VERY funny show. I plan to see Shaun of the Dean on Thursday, cash flow and availability pending.

10. i hear there are a couple morrissey/the smiths references. which means i am obligated to go.

11. I saw it on Sunday. Fun, surprisingly gorey in parts and I liked that. I wouldn't rave about it but it was worth seeing.

12. I found it to be too much like Braindead/Bad taste - just an Anglicised version (it's probably the Englishness that appeals abroad)

but the bit in the extras section on the DVD with Nick Frost rolling out countless remarks about the old woman in the pub made me laugh a lot:D

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    tanada tanada tanada *looking at zombie* UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

tanada tanada tanada *looking at zombie* UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Probably my favorite part of the movie.

That, or the part where they're flipping through records"

"No...no...no... well, I liked it...."

15. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  16. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Braindead (Dead Alive) is one of the greatest movies. They didn't use the gore effect in Shaun of the Dead nearly as much as they did in Braindead. The only thing that I found in common between the two is that they are zombie/comedy movies.