Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just saw the Max Roach Quartet. Not bad.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It was a very nice outing, although it wasn't a sold out event. Besides Max, there was a trumpet player and a tenor saxophonist. THe Bassist's name was Tyrone Brown and he was playing a BSX or Clevinger electric upright through a Trace Elliott 2X10 combo or something like that. Unfortunately, the balance between instruments wasn't the best, with the bass buried deep in the house mix and with a sound that was analogous to a person talking with a lot of cotton wool in their mouth. The Brass section was pretty good, although the trumpeter was too keen on using modal sequences, which he'd only stop when a note broke. I feel good to have been able to attend the concert of a legend, but it just goes to show nobody's immune from bad sound (although this venue surely shouldn't have had that problem)

Anyone else see these guys? Questions? Comments? Donations?

Will

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tyrone Brown was the bassist on one of the first Jazz albums I owned; back in '75, my uncle gave me a copy of Pat Martino's Consciousness with Brown on bass. The 1st tune on the record was Coltrane's "Impressions"...the speed Brown walked this tune blew me away; I was hooked! ;)
    (I'm assuming this is the same guy you saw with Roach).

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Must have been. His walking was almost Stanley Clarke on "Captain Marvel" fast.

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I've seen Max Roach in various bands through the years. He is an unbelievably great musician. He was a professor at UMass Amherst, MA and part of his contract was that he perform a certain number of concerts. I saw him doing just a jazz thing, a solo thing, but my favorite was a group called M-Boom which was a collection of percussionists playing all sorts of strange percussive things, including saw blades. Very cool indeed!