1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just Saw the Misfits Live

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Apr 24, 2006.

1. I'm not a huge fan of the Misfits, but a bunch of my friends are and I've heard a lot of their music. I like most of it, not really my style, but it's good party/drunk music.
    Anyway, last night my friend calls me up and says "Wanna go to a Misfits show? It's only $18 at the door", I'm like "yeah sure". I especially wanted to go because it was at a pretty small local joint called the Crazy Donkey, so we didn't have to deal with trains to the city, huge lines, and a massive crowd.
    So we went tonight and it was ****in awesome. There were SEVEN local bands opening for them starting at 3pm. We didn't bother going until around 7 and we still had to wait for 2 of them to play first.
    Anyway, Misfits come out and the place goes nuts.
    One thing I have to comment on is the pits. I was expecting the pits to get pretty crazy, or at least good, but this was really bad. It was just a bunch of punks basically marching in circles swinging their arms around. I just stood to the side for most of it, throwing people back in who got knocked out of it. For some songs the pits were pretty nuts though and I did go in more then a few times, but it wasn't as good as the metal pits I'm accustomed to. I was also suprised to see a few girls in the pits too, one of which was wearing only a bra and mini-skirt:). It was a fun night.
    The thing I really liked about the show is how fast-paced it was. Most of their songs are only like 2-4 minutes, and when one song ended they would just go right into the next one, no talking, just music.....except when Jerry broke his E string and had to wait while a roadie put a new one on. They probably played about 30 songs tonight, no exaggeration.
    At the end of the show (they closed with Die, Die my Darling), Jerry hopped off stage, stepped over the barracade, and signed autographs. I didn't expect that, but apparently it's a common thing at Misfits concerts. They're very loyal to their fiends, he spent about an hour talking to people, signing autographs and taking pictures. He would sign pretty much anything you passed him, some of it was funny. I saw people getting their shoes signed, thier belts, tickets, beer bottles (my friend got his Bud signed), boobies, shirts, anything,
    He's a really cool guy in person too, I didn't expect him to be so cool and friendly. At the end of the night, I had my pack of cigarettes autographed by Jerry Only and Dez (I didn't have anything else good for an autograph), I didn't see the drummer around though. Me and a friend also got our pic taken with Jerry. As soon as he sends me the pics from his phone, I'll post them.
    Anyone else hear seen them live or get to meet 'em? Even though I'm not a long-time fan, or even very familiar with all their music, I had a GREAT time tonight and plan on seeing them again when they come back.

2. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    My band actually just opened for them on Saturday. I was impressed with them, though I'm honestly not a big fan of Punk or The Misfits. I'm a Danzig fan, so I didn't have high expectations, but it was fun.

3. I was at the LP fest when they opened (I heard your band, and I was impressed with the bass playing, mnolansoc) and it was awesome. Didn't know any of the songs, but the atmosphere was really cool, especially since the festival was sorta a dud.

4. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Wow, thanks so much. That's so funny that you saw me. Thanks for listening. I looked up at one point and noticed there were only a handful of people left, so I really appreciate it when people dig us.

The festival didn't really end up as great as it could have been, but the people running it worked hard. It definitely wasn't their fault.

As far as my playing, I have to say that I'm still struggling to put more interesting lines in our songs, but the guitarist plays such crazy stuff, it is hard.

Basically...THANKS! :D

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dez is one of my best friends' uncles so I've gotten to meet Jerry and Dez on numerous occasions and have actually played with them at one of Dez' birthday parties. Awesome guys those two.

6. Sorry, but they arent the misfits, the misfits died in the 80's when danzig left, im not saying either of them were in the right, im just saying thats the way it is, Jerry is just dragging the name through the mud now

7. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    even without glenn i'd still love to see the misfits. sounds like you saw a great show! i've never liked pits at punk shows, but thats just me.....

8. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I liek them with glenn alot better too but i'd still go see them regardless.

9. Mehhhh.

Danzig-era is my favorite. I mean, sheesh- "London Dungeon?" The shizz.

I bet I'd enjoy them live though.

10. +10.

Also, doesn't he look like he's juicing or somesuch?

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Only $18?!?! Damn, where do you people get this money to go to shows?

I've paid as much or more for shows, but it was for people I really desparately needed to see. But generally if the door price is above $12 I forget about it. Even that's a little much.

12. ^Really?? Where do you live? Around here $18 is a DAMN good price for a concert, especially for a big-name band like the Misfits. Maybe you live in a different region so prices/values are different, but 18 for show here is an AWESOME price.

Anyway, I just got the pic of me and Jerry. It kind of sucks because it was taken with a shi**y 3 year-old camera phone, but you can see what's going on pretty easily I think. I'm all the way on the left, Jerry Only next to me, and my friends the 2 Johns on the right.
    [​IMG]
    Oddly enough, everyone in this picture is a bass player.