Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just Saw Victor Wooten Last Night !!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by KB, Sep 4, 2002.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    WOW!!!!
    Just saw Victor Wooten last night and I don't really know how to describe it. It was almost a religious experience. First off I was standing in the center right at the stage (front row) so Victor was playing about 3 feet or less from me the entire night.

Secondly: He played for about 4 hours and 15 mins (WOWWOWWOW!!!).

I can't even begin to go through all the highlights but here is a summary: Theremin Solo, MC Divinity (bass playing rapper type of woman), Branford Marsalis on Sax, The enitre rest of the Wooten family, Speach from Arrested Development (yes they played the 3 big AD songs-Tennesse, Mr. Wendel, and Everyday People), JD Blair on drums, and of course Vic!!!!
    Vic played many different basses (mostly all Foderas, but also an old fretless Steinberger boat paddle bass where Speach sang this cool Indian song). He did a solo bit where hewas playing and thumping the bass and the randomly detuned all the strings (one by one) and kept thumping with the out of tune strings (it still sounded great), then tuned them up (one by one) and never missed a beat. Also for one of his final solo jams he played about 5 basses doing all the flips over his back, etc. with one, then taking another that had a cable permanently attached and threw is around the stage by the cable and spun it (like a yo yo) from the cable, then another bass was picked up and the lights went out and the SIMS LEDS fretboard lights came on that were triggered to flash everytime he played a note (which was a lot)....that was really cool, complete darkness except for the SIMS LEDS.
    Then he did a lean in trick (someone held onto his back as he leaned forward, still playing as fast as possible) and his hands were probably 8 inches from me and I still couldn't keep up with what he was doing.
    There were numerous songs from his CDs, but also a lot of jamming and a mixture of covers and snipets of covers (Superstitious, a Parliament/Funkadelic medly, the Arrested Development songs, Iron man, Star Spangled banner (jimi hendrix style) followed by Purple Haze, Amazing Grace, and many more quotes and songs that sounded familiar but I didn't know the name).

At many points in the show all the family and respective associtated friends did solo spots and at many points there were up to 3 basses playing at once.

All this for $12 !!!!!

probably one of the best shows I've ever seen.

-KB

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I feel jelous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Yo victa!!!!!!

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    yeah man I saw him last night, in Columbia. Man Branford did not play with him here but it was still awesome. Regi went crazy on his guitar solo. They busted out with some Iron Man at one point. Well it was indeed worth the $18 I paid. ohh yeah the funniest part was, this drunk old man some how got up right in front of victor and between songs he says to Victor "Who are you?"..it was funny.

4. I've seen him in concert twice, both times in fairly intimate settings. What a show he and his band put on! I was almost as floored by Regi as with Vic. They're both just sick, they're so good. And as you said, they play forever. You definitely get your money's worth at a Voctor Wooten concert.

Dale

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    i truly think musicians all over the world would
    be missing something by not seeing the wooten clan.

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah, Regi's solo was amazing too (also had some cool Sims LEDs).

I highly recommend seeing the wooten family if ever possible. I wonder how they put on 4 hour shows every night of the caliber they do, must be exhausting.

-KB

7. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I've seen them twice. I was front and center both times :) One of the best things IMO was when they all broke into Purple Haze! I love that song! Vic played his version of "Amazing Grace" oh yeah! They're definatly great shows.

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Hey ARA punk,
    were you at the show this past Tuesday in Carrboro?

-KB