Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just saw Wilco, Calvin theater, North Hampton, MA 10/3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Damn. What a fine concert. Wilco, in its current incarnation, is a fine live ensemble.

Wilco's new disc, "A Ghost is Born", was initially a hard listen for me. A rewarding disc, but where "Being there" was accessible, and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" started their penchant for song deconstructions, "ghost" dove in, and I was curious to see how these pieces would work in a live setting.

I wasn't dissapointed.

The show openned with the latest's lead track "At least that's what you said" and when the vamp kicked in, I knew all was goin to be a-ok...Tweedy channelling his best Neil Young blissed out solo-isms.

The set focussed primarily on Ghost and Foxtrot, and from "Heavy Metal Drummer" all the way to "Hell is Chrome", and back to the set closer "Spiders" (which I've gotta admit rocked so hard I was uncontrollably giddy and pogo-ing) the whole show was enthralling.

The group came out for two encores, the latter being a call-to-duty for people to get out and vote. to do something. Tweedy is unabashedly anti-Bush, and tho I often hate the mix of artist and politics, I felt the whole room was "with him".

Oh yeah: John, the bass player, played a real nice Lakland bass. It looked like a Glaub (that's the P copy, right?) but with a black DeArmond Starfire looking pickup in the P pup position instead.

Sounded great thru an SVT and dual 4x10's.

Anyone know about that pickup? I thought I had seen a thread about those here, but cannot find it.

Oh yeah, great effin show. I only wished they had played "Kamera".

2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I've got duckets to see them in November at the Wiltern in LA. As for getting info on Stirratt's pickup, you may want to go to the Via Chicago website that is a link on wilcoweb.com. There are a lot of gear heads that hang out there.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I have heard YHF plenty of times. Really interesting stuff, but man, the singer is terrible. I just can't stand him. Shame on the otherwise promising material. :( My loss, I guess.

4. That's cool. Tweedy does have a "unique" strain on his voice at times, not always to good effect, but he is who he is...

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Cool! I was in CT, and after I read about the show I wished I had found out about it in advance so I could've made plans to go. Northampton's a great little town, too, with so much cool stuff going on.

Another show I found out about after the fact was the Mammals playing at Cheney Hall in Manchester, CT on September 30, but I was on a plane from Dallas to Hartford when that was going on. Bummer!!!

6. Yeah, I really really like that town, don't spend nearly enough time checking it out...that must change, as it's absolutely beatiful, and pretty hip indeed.

The whole area intersected by rte 5 / main is really neat-o.

7. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Might I suggest to Wilco fans to come to DeKalb, IL, the next time they come through. Apparently they like to play in a club that holds about 800 people every tour, called Otto's. I'm not a Wilco fan, but all my friends went to their shows in DeKalb, including two in a row to start off their current tour.

I have been to Otto's - small stage, small bar. I think it'd be sweet to see a real band there.

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yeah. I could live there gladly. Hip town, good food and live music, close to good skiing ... what more could I want?

Next time you're there, have a meal at the East Side Grille. Or the Northampton Brewery. Or ...