1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just saying Hi, and showing off my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpaceBass2000, Mar 20, 2013.

1. SpaceBass2000

SpaceBass2000

Mar 15, 2013
    DFW TX
    Hi everyone. I'm new here. I'm a guitar player, but just bought my first bass in ... over 20 years. My actual first bass was a 60s something EB0 that I wish I still had. But now I have a Squier p/j. I bought it as a project bass, and playing it helps to break up the monotony of my guitar work. I'm really enjoying it, but I have to admit it's giving me a bit of tendonitis :bassist:

I'll be posting more pictures as I upgrade it.

P1010980_zpsb28b35ab.

2. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Cool. Gotta love the P/j combo.
    I got one too, but sunburst.I got it on the cheap though.
    I like yours better. ;)

What plans do ya got for it?..

3. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    I really like the gold.

Tendonitis though...that sux...

4. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe

5. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Drop a Gotoh mudbucker into that sucker and you can relive your EB days in one bass that has better balance and more tonal options.

6. Like it.I've got two Squiers myself - 5 string Jazz Deluxe and 5 string Vintage Modified. I love how the Squiers have gone up in quality!

7. ChessTiger

ChessTiger

Oct 26, 2012
    :hyper: :bassist:

I like it!!!! Keep on rocking!!!!

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Welcome to Talk Bass! I was a guitar player once too...

:bag:

9. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
  10. SpaceBass2000

SpaceBass2000

Mar 15, 2013
    DFW TX
    Thanks for the replies. I'm finding the bass to be more physically demanding than I'd expected. I know switching back and forth my guitars now all seem to have amazingly low actions.

Yeah my EB0 was short scale. It was beat up and needed work, but it's the one guitar I've sold over the years that I wish I hadn't.

The first change I'd planned to make was switching to a black pickguard, but the one I bought, a Mighty Mite that was supposed to fit a 14 hole Squier, didn't line up at all. None of the screw holes, the neck slot, the pickups ... It's really amazing how off it is. So, I'm resigned to live with white at the moment.

The neck's a bit wonky. The previous owner had the action way high with heavy strings at standard tuning. I was able to get the bow out reasonable well, but not as well as I would like. Also the last fret is high/lifted under the G string. So, I'm looking for a new neck at the moment.

I like the idea of adding a Mudbucker. Haven't found much use for the Jazz pickup yet.

11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    As far as the neck goes, it still might be fixable. You'll need to take the neck off the body and work w/the truss-rod. Hard to explain in brief, but you can find explanations and tutorials addressing this. Clamping of the stabilized neck in a flat position while tightening the tr and leaving it that way for a few days is involved. However, if it's twisted, then it's new neck time. Good luck.

12. SpaceBass2000

SpaceBass2000

Mar 15, 2013
    DFW TX

At the moment it plays well enough. I took all the tension off the strings, put my knee in the back of the neck, bent the neck back a bit and tightened the nut 1/8 of a turn, waited a couple of days and did that again, and again. At this point, it's in specs fretted at the 1st and 14th frets. But, there is a pretty good bend around where the neck joins the body. So, not sure what that fix might be. Heat treating, or remove the last few frets and plain the fret board maybe.

13. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Unless you want a real project and one that will delay actually playing the bass, it sounds like a new neck is needed. I've used Allparts P & J's and they are decent to really good but they aren't cheap (around $250). A J neck will be a bit narrower at the nut which also might help.